Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Add-on Manager questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tonight I am about to jump into building an addons xml for Aeon and I was just wondering if this new addition eliminates programs.xml and scripts.xml.

I have been reading what threads I could find about it, but there is not a large amount of information about it out there yet. It sounds like everything goes into the xbmc/addon folder. So does this include skins, scripts, scrapers, emulators, ect.? Sorry if I seem dense about it, but I am trying to get a jump on this. I would be nice to see a support thread opened.
Nope, programs and scripts stay intact.
add:
AddonBrowser.xml
DialogAddonInfo.xml
DialogAddonSettings.xml = DialogPluginSettings.xml
And views for add-ons (skin dependend how)

And yes everthing goes in addons folder.
ekim232 I think your being confused this is not a place to run stuff from this is merely a place to download and install stuff from think of it as a hard coded SVN repo installer script

There is maybe a plan to merge programs and scripts into 1 window but thats still under discussion and may not happen certainly not before the next release anyway.

Waffa has told you the current new windows needed but you will also need a description.xml file next to your skin.xml so the addon manager will even see it. skins themselves have also been moved into the addons of xbmc.

The reason there is so little info is because things are still in flux and may change but it never hurts to get a head start Smile
Hmmm, yeah, we're going to need to start including all that stuff with Back Row also. At least get most of the stuff ready, so there's less to do when the Add-on stuff is officially done. I still build daily, but did stop myself at the revision number that changed things to only showing PM3.HD and Confluence theme. But I'm thinking if we add most of everything now (to a point that doesn't break the skin at least), that's much less to do later.
indeed just take note though confluence is the only one that works currently. It got completely redesigned after I did pm3 so its OLD school non working way.

Translation --- USE Confluences xmls as a base not pm3.hd
Jezz_X Wrote:indeed just take note though confluence is the only one that works currently. It got completely redesigned after I did pm3 so its OLD school non working way.

Translation --- USE Confluences xmls as a base not pm3.hd

Jezz_X,

I have made a start on modifying the Confluences xml files to suit my skin mod, but what else do we need to do to be ready for 10.05? I take it we will need to setup a SVN ? Where does this need to be hosted?

I have also got a working description.xml file (checked with Confluences skin to see that it works), but what do we need to do about an icon?

Thanks for your help,
Wyrm (xTV SAF)
wyrm you don't need a svn you will be able to submit things to team XBMC and if they pass a certain level of testing (making sure it works basically) they will get uploaded to the xbmc addon mirrors http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/ and be installable from there.

The whole submit things still have to be worked out yet so don't ask me about that as I have no idea Smile

Icons is simple its just an extra image in the skins dir.
here is a general layout of extra stuff.

1) first its nice for orginization but not needed to name your skins folder "skin.name" eg: skin.confluence
2) for the addon manager you get a few extra files in the root of your skins dir the only one "needed" is description.xml you can then also add if you want (and recommended) icon.png , fanart.jpg , changelog.txt .

Personally I don't think every item in the addon manager needs fanart because it will just slow stuff down downloading them all but hey thats just me.
The best way to develop (i.e. easiest for us at least, and we like to think it'll be easy for you as well) will be to clone the official skin addons git - see xbmc.git.sourceforge.net. That way, when you request that we pull a change, we get all the history of the skin as well.

Ofcourse, as Jezz_X indicates, we don't limit you to this - you're welcome to use whatever VCS tool you find easiest (or no VCS at all if you like to live in the dark ages). All you do is tell us when you've updated your addon (skin), what version it targets, and where we can get the sources from and we'll pull it in to the main repo if we think it works well enough. It then automatically pops up on the mirrors for users to download.

Cheers,
Jonathan
I can't imagine it will be sane for every single update for each plugin/skin/etc to be approved.
Surely there will be atleast the option of downloading from secondary sources like most package management systems.
hikaricore Wrote:I can't imagine it will be sane for every single update for each plugin/skin/etc to be approved.
Surely there will be atleast the option of downloading from secondary sources like most package management systems.

read http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/04/27/state-of-the-addons/

Quote:We have introduced an official XBMC repository where addons will be hosted. These will be tested for stability and should allow us to keep an eye out for broken or outdated addons. We are fortunate to be able to take advantage of the new mirror system, so the experience will be blazing fast and redundant. And for those who wish to venture outside of the official repository, you will be able to add 3rd party repos as well. In fact, repos themselves are just addons. How cool is that?
Hrrmm I missed that part. Sowwz. :p
Jezz_X Wrote:wyrm you don't need a svn you will be able to submit things to team XBMC and if they pass a certain level of testing (making sure it works basically) they will get uploaded to the xbmc addon mirrors http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/ and be installable from there.

The whole submit things still have to be worked out yet so don't ask me about that as I have no idea Smile

Icons is simple its just an extra image in the skins dir.
here is a general layout of extra stuff.

1) first its nice for orginization but not needed to name your skins folder "skin.name" eg: skin.confluence
2) for the addon manager you get a few extra files in the root of your skins dir the only one "needed" is description.xml you can then also add if you want (and recommended) icon.png , fanart.jpg , changelog.txt .

Personally I don't think every item in the addon manager needs fanart because it will just slow stuff down downloading them all but hey thats just me.

Jezz_X,

Thanks for the reply, from what you have written I'm pretty well sorted. Has there been a particular size set for the icon and fanart files (yes, I also don't see much point to fanart in this situation). Will code the new .xml files and carry on with my current updates and wait for the announcement of 10.05.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)
jmarshall Wrote:The best way to develop (i.e. easiest for us at least, and we like to think it'll be easy for you as well) will be to clone the official skin addons git - see xbmc.git.sourceforge.net. That way, when you request that we pull a change, we get all the history of the skin as well.

Ofcourse, as Jezz_X indicates, we don't limit you to this - you're welcome to use whatever VCS tool you find easiest (or no VCS at all if you like to live in the dark ages). All you do is tell us when you've updated your addon (skin), what version it targets, and where we can get the sources from and we'll pull it in to the main repo if we think it works well enough. It then automatically pops up on the mirrors for users to download.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathon,

Hey what's wrong with 'Readth' , 'Writeth' and 'Goforth'.Big Grin Like most things, the Mod kind of got out of hand. Was originally only going to be one or two fixes of pet peeves, but things just snowballed. I promised myself that I would set-up a SVN when things settled down (around about v1.0), might just move things up a bit on this. Thanks for the clarification on this.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)
@ Wyrm Icon will be cached by xbmc default 512x512 doesn't need to be square. If your icon is smaller it will cache that size.
Fanart size is what you like most likely 1280x720.
In the future, I think XBMC will be caching thumbs at something that fits inside 512x1024 in either direction (eg 1024x512 for a wide icon) - this is so that hardware that doesn't support NPOT textures doesn't end up with huge amounts of wasted texture memory. Fanart will be cached at maximum 2048x2048.

Actual dimensions don't matter much under these, but you may as well make the most of it, so I'd do 512xHH for a poster style thumb, 512x512 if you want it square, and 1024xHH for a wide icon.

1280x720 for fanart is more than enough IMO.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Pages: 1 2