Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] XBMC Does Not Mount External Hard Drives, Help Please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone.

I must preface and say I'm a linux n00b, but I'll do my best to explain this problem and understand your advice.

Recently, I must have done something wrong in the terminal, because my 3 external HDs never once had problems being recognised by XBMC, but now they don't show up.

Normally, I would SFTP all my files to the HDs under /media, but now the folder is completely empty.

When I pull up the blkid command, I get:
Code:
/dev/sda1: UUID="a7d2db85-520e-4e21-929d-f3f1e7337a0f" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda5: UUID="61caf1f3-9e52-40f5-a758-9cc162a81ee9" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="4A1C86F41C86D9F9" LABEL="!MusicFilms" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdd1: LABEL="!DOCSFILMS" UUID="12E8-3A6D" TYPE="vfat"

I can see two of them right now, but I actually had a third one earlier.

I used this article for some help, but I still couldn't quiet get it to work as it once was.

I just want to be able to plug in my usb external drive and have it show up under /media again.

FYI, I'm doing this on the Acer Revo nettop.

Any help would mean a lot.
Quote:Recently, I must have done something wrong in the terminal, because my 3 external HDs never once had problems being recognised by XBMC, but now they don't show up.

If they used to show up I have two suggestions:

1) You did an unlucky unsafe removal. There is a command to clean that up from command line but I dont remember it. If you plug it into windows and make a safe removal it should clean it up. (This does not happen with every unsafe removal, but happened twice for me on 9.04.
2) Did you by accident install anything gnome? E.g. with firefox or anther sw you installed?
vikjon0 Wrote:If they used to show up I have two suggestions:

1) You did an unlucky unsafe removal. There is a command to clean that up from command line but I dont remember it. If you plug it into windows and make a safe removal it should clean it up. (This does not happen with every unsafe removal, but happened twice for me on 9.04.
2) Did you by accident install anything gnome? E.g. with firefox or anther sw you installed?

Jeez, I really am that transparent! I should have mentioned this above, but yes: I was trying to install Firefox on top of Launcher and this guide pointed me towards gnome.

I actually took the easy way out and just reinstalled the bloody thing, but I'm still very interested in learning what caused this. Since you hit the nail right on the head, mind sharing with me why you thought number 2?
Quote:Jeez, I really am that transparent! I should have mentioned this above, but yes: I was trying to install Firefox on top of Launcher and this guide pointed me towards gnome.

In live karmic there is a problem with usb mount and gnome.
you have to install firefox with --no-install-recommends
Then no gnome will be included and it will work fine.
davidknowsbest Wrote:Jeez, I really am that transparent! I should have mentioned this above, but yes: I was trying to install Firefox on top of Launcher and this guide pointed me towards gnome.

I actually took the easy way out and just reinstalled the bloody thing, but I'm still very interested in learning what caused this. Since you hit the nail right on the head, mind sharing with me why you thought number 2?

I am not sure, but I think it reconfigures udev, a base system for linux.
Quote:I am not sure, but I think it reconfigures udev, a base system for linux.
Not sure either but thought it was the gnome-policykit, but maybe udev makes more sense.

Eitherway the problem is that freedesktop starts reporting the disk as removable = false.
BTW: This firefox setup works with live (and usb mount)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664
vikjon0 Wrote:BTW: This firefox setup works with live (and usb mount)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664

You are incredible! I gave this a shot and it worked perfectly! Thanks again for all your help. I certainly couldn't do any of this without the forum.