Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: BUG: DVD menu over smb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I posted a few days ago about my DVD menu not working in XBMC. I didn't get any replies to it, so I went troubleshooting further myself.

The problem was that DVD menus didn't work on my XBMC (latest version, Ubuntu 9). My movies are stored on a NAS box. The video_ts.ifo file could not be played. I could play the vobs directly, but then the menu was not usable.

So to further troubleshoot, I installed xbmc on my Windows 7 PC, and it played the menu just fine. So, it was Linux specific. I then copied the movies locally to my xbmc box, and it also played the menu just fine. So it was network specific. I then installed nfs on my NAS, and exported my movies to my xbmc box, and again, the menu played fine.

Soooo, there is a problem playing the DVD menu over an smb share on a Linux xbmc installation. The xbmc log states that it is unable to play the inaccessible video_ts.ifo file for some reason.

I don't know if I'm the first one to report this bug, and for me the nfs workaround is fine. But you might want to have a look at having this fixed in the next release.
Sounds like it was a permissions problem to me.
What leads you to believe it was a permissions problem? I can play the file trough nfs but not through samba, accessing it with the same user account. I can play the file from my Windows PC accessing it with the same user account. The error message is (I looked it up):

ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [smb://ip/path/VIDEO_TS.IFO]

File permissions are this:

root@NAS:~# ls -all /mnt/HD_a2/Video/Kids/Baas\ in\ Eigen\ Bos\ 2\ \(2008\)/DVD/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
-rwxrwxrwx 1 Bever All 40960 May 3 12:11 /mnt/HD_a2/Video/Kids/Baas in Eigen Bos 2 (2008)/DVD/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

They can't be any more open Wink
So, that's it? This is shoved aside as a permissions problem? Not even going to try to reproduce the error?
Post a full debug log of you accessing said item both over smb and locally.

And yes, in general, things that work fine locally but don't over smb (or any other network protocol XBMC supports) is due to permissions issues. Usually due to people using windows to serve files, which quite often screws things up (NTFS permissions versus sharing permissions).