Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: So how is the new video acceleration so far?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2.53 Mac Mini and I just read about the new video acceleration (I know I'm late LOL) and I'm quite excited! Of those of you who have tried it so far how is it working? Can you really tell a different when playing high spec 1080P content? I'm currently using an older building of XBMC (before the video acceleration) and Avatar in 1080P makes my Mac Mini chug like there's no tomorrow... Any idea if this will fix that? What are you guys experiences so far? I'm at work and won't be home for a while so I can't test... but I"m so excited I can't wait until then so I figured I'd ask LOL... Laugh
mrt2 Wrote:Of those of you who have tried it so far how is it working?
Pretty amazingly considering it was thrown together in a few days.
mrt2 Wrote:Can you really tell a different when playing high spec 1080P content?
Abso-feaking-lutely, people going from 100% CPU usage and dropped frames like crazy to 20%-30% usage and full frame playback.
mrt2 Wrote:I'm currently using an older building of XBMC (before the video acceleration) and Avatar in 1080P makes my Mac Mini chug like there's no tomorrow... Any idea if this will fix that?
As long as the source video is MPEG-4 AVC, and you're using a Mac Mini with a compatible nVidia video card (9400m), then yes. The Blu-Ray version of Avatar is MPEG-4 AVC, so yes, you will see a striking difference.

Only downside is that it won't accelerate VC-1 or MPEG MP@HL, which are the other two formats available on Blu-Ray, added together represent roughly a 33% share of the market in terms of releases.

Follow along here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=72609
Its badass! As the previous guy explained.
It works flawlessly. Just install and play. In my testing I had some 1080p material and CPU usage was cut in half or more. Big Grin
No A/V sync problem like Plex has ?
davilla Wrote:No A/V sync problem like Plex has ?

I've never had one issue with A/V sync in Plex but I have seen the posts talking about it.
ive got the 2.26 mac mini with nvidia 9400 and tried using avatar the full 1080p and although cpu usage was at like 5 percent and this is a 36 gig file,(mkv) the video was still stuttering. i hope thats just because it was a nightly build and not a stable release. i was disappointed that apple didn't release video acceleration for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 that i just paid extra for when buying the 21.5 inch imac. it plays blu ray rips fine with the cpu but it would be nice to watch movies wial say encoding another at the same time.
calev Wrote:ive got the 2.26 mac mini with nvidia 9400 and tried using avatar the full 1080p and although cpu usage was at like 5 percent and this is a 36 gig file,(mkv) the video was still stuttering. i hope thats just because it was a nightly build and not a stable release. i was disappointed that apple didn't release video acceleration for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 that i just paid extra for when buying the 21.5 inch imac. it plays blu ray rips fine with the cpu but it would be nice to watch movies wial say encoding another at the same time.

which version and pastebin the xbmc.log please. A CPU usage of 5 percent is way too low.
So far Avatar is running amazing... none of the stuttering like before! This is awesome... now the only problem is the newest SVN for some reason doesn't read my skins so all I can select are the default two that come with XBMC. I just started another thread about it. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
mrt2 Wrote:So far Avatar is running amazing... none of the stuttering like before! This is awesome... now the only problem is the newest SVN for some reason doesn't read my skins so all I can select are the default two that come with XBMC. I just started another thread about it. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

skin issue is svn churn with respect to addons.
davilla Wrote:skin issue is svn churn with respect to addons.

Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean? :confused2:
Does it mean the newest SVN has problems with addons right now?
Please try and keep things on topic - you have a post elsewhere already by the looks.
davilla Wrote:No A/V sync problem like Plex has ?

I havent had av sync issues with either.

Xbmc pros: worked out of the box and performs better.
Plex pros: works good enough and is implemented in an otherwise stable build.
jmarshall Wrote:Please try and keep things on topic - you have a post elsewhere already by the looks.

Sorry dude it wasn't on purpose...
a/v sync issues in plex only occur when the display is set to 24Hz. changing it to 60Hz took care of all sync issues for me.

I'm using XBMC on my aTV only, so I don't know if XBMC has this issue or not