Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Joining segmented movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Forgive me if this is a newbie question.

My wife and I are big fans Asian (mainly Korean) dramas and we are members of several sites where we can legally download our weekly fix of various episodes including soft subs.

Sometimes these movies are segmented with names like this......

Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ.avi
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ.avi.002
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ.avi.003
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ.avi.004

etc.....there can be up to 8 parts.

The first segment has an icon that looks like a stuffit segment icon but in fact it isn't "stuffed" at all and nothing happens if you double click on it or drop it on Stuffit Expander.

If I put all these files in a folder and drop the first one on VLC (on my Mac)
it plays the whole movie just fine. So obviously VLC knows how to deal with these segments and somehow joins them all together without me having to do anything.
The problem is that XBMC (and Boxee) won't recognize these files at all. They won't even appear.

Is there a way to join these files together so we can view them via XBMC on our beloved Apple TV?
I have tried a number of movie decoders and none of them will even recognize these files...........I guess they wouldn't because of the file extension not being a movie file one. I've tried changing that extension to no avail.
Any insight?
Thanks for your patience.
Try renaming the files so they look like this;

Was:

etc

Should be:
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ Part 1.avi
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ Part 2.avi.

Or:
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ CD1.avi
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ CD2.avi.

Make sure stacking is turned on. Should take care of it.
brock_gonad Wrote:Try renaming the files so they look like this;

Was:

etc

Should be:
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ Part 1.avi
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ Part 2.avi.

Or:
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ CD1.avi
Personal.Taste.E12.100506.HDTV.XViD-HAN-waQ CD2.avi.

Make sure stacking is turned on. Should take care of it.

Thanks so much. I'll try it tonight!
Ok I just tried this and in doing so I rembered that I had done this before and here is what happens.
When I change the first file it's icon changes to a movie.
When I change all subsequent files thier respective icons change into avi symbols but they do not show a movie icon (that is you can't play them individually)
Something tells me that these are not avi files.

Anyway after doing this ( and VLC would no longer play any of the other segments except the first one) I went to the Apple TV and had a look in XBMC.

All the segments are in a line and so I engage the "stack" mode.
The movie becomes a one 700meg file.....great!!

Well no not really. The movie won't play at all.

As I mentioned, I have tried this before with the same result.

There must be a way of doing this as I'm seeing more and more files split this way.
Perhaps people are only watching on their computers and not many have Apple TV.

Any other suggestions?
debug log. see my signature.
@brock - found your useful advice re 'stacking' but when I went to my ATV and looked at all the menus for video, system, etc. I could not find any setting for stacking. Am I looking in the wrong places.
Thanks in advance
left hand side menu in the media window.
spiff Wrote:debug log. see my signature.

I'll assume you want me to have a look at the log in XBMC?

I will do so and report back.

Thanks
Of course that leads to other questions.

Well I found out how to get to the log on my ATV

/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

But now I need to know how and where I input that query.

I have no keyboard plugged into the ATV.

Apologies for my ignorance but where do I begin?

I should also mention that I'm running Patchstick.
Your segmentation naming suggests they are were broken up with a simple binary split by size. Renaming them to fall in line with the stacking rules may work, but the results may vary as you may not be starting on a keyframe during the file transition. Try merging them back together assuming a simple binary split. If they are on a Windows box, you can use copy /b a+b+c+d+e newfile.avi. On *nix systems, you should be able to merge them together with cat a b c d e > newfile.avi
@spiff - thanks for your help. When I went to the side menu - up popped
"insert CD"
Then I went to the on-line manual and under stacking it said "Stacking is a view option available in videos file mode window"
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question - that is -- if you dl a movie in 2 parts, and then want to move them over to the ATV for them to play without a break, then you 'stack' them.
I can't seem to find the 'stacking option' anywhere or am I just 'blinded by science'
thanks
Sorry I'm on a Mac and not on your level of proficiency with programing.

It's strange that no one else has asked about this. I'm seeing these split files everywhere now.
I really want to solve this so I don't have to sit at my computer (where I work all day) to watch a movie.

If I could just get to that log............
@MrHipster
If yuo're using Confluence, navigate left from the file browser window and a panel will pop out. Then go to misc options and navigate right for another panel. Stacking is on that second panel.

@Philco
OSX should have the cat command.
MrHipster Wrote:@spiff - thanks for your help. When I went to the side menu - up popped
"insert CD"
Then I went to the on-line manual and under stacking it said "Stacking is a view option available in videos file mode window"
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question - that is -- if you dl a movie in 2 parts, and then want to move them over to the ATV for them to play without a break, then you 'stack' them.
I can't seem to find the 'stacking option' anywhere or am I just 'blinded by science'
thanks

It's there alright. So when you are in XBMC there is a list that says "Photos" "Music" "Videos" etc on the left side. Ok go into the Video. Now let's assume you have some locations set up...........where you have told XBMC that you store your movies. Go select a movie. Now on the left hand side you will see "Stack" or "Stacking".

Perhaps it only appears when you are in a certain folder but it's there.
Good luck.
mrhipster; you missed the 'in the media window' part of my msg Smile
Pages: 1 2