Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Got my first AppleTV today ... have a few questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I'm a total n00b when it comes to AppleTV. I just got mine today, already patched with XBMC, Boxee, etc.

It may sound like a dumb question but how do I add video files to the ATV drive itself? I'd like to watch some AVI files but I'm clueless about how to set up the drive. Do I need to make specific folders?

If you could give me some help, it'd be greatly appreciated!
The easiest thing is not to put your media on your AppleTV at all, and stream it from a remote source.
I agree with Kraqh3d if you haven't ripped out the wifi card. Just set up shares on your deskop pc and use the "windows sharing (smb)" option under "add source". You can FTP with filezilla to backup and load skins
Yes this is a question I was asking at first. But streaming from my computer downstairs via an Airport Extreme I can watch movies upstairs in the TV room.
It's some kind of magic and it never misses a beat or drops a frame.

So my routine is to download a movie from the net (legally of course!!) then put it in my designated "share" folder (it's a Mac thing).
Then I can have it available on the Apple TV any time I want to watch it.
I can organize my folders any way I want and have what ever movies I want in them.
My daughter has her own Mac in her room and she has all her movies and clips in her own set of folders.
My wife has the same.
All 3 computers are on the network and are available anytime.
Then when freinds come over we can switch from XBMC to the Apple menu and hire a movie on iTunes.
Great system.
I've had my ATV for over a year now and the drive in it is still empty.
I got a 1 TB drive because most of the reviews I watched on YouTube said that streaming caused the occasional lag and stutter. I'd also like to take the ATV to my parents and watch some home videos I have stored.

The wifi is still in the ATV, but is streaming done with bluetooth?
mrmccahan Wrote:I got a 1 TB drive because most of the reviews I watched on YouTube said that streaming caused the occasional lag and stutter. I'd also like to take the ATV to my parents and watch some home videos I have stored.

The wifi is still in the ATV, but is streaming done with bluetooth?

The AppleTV does not have internal bluetooth hardware and no, streaming is not done with bluetooth.

Also the AppleTV's internal disk is 2.5" notebook sized with a PATA interface.
Thanks for the help. I'd still like to watch videos locally on the drive, though.
Login as frontrow via ssh and create a Movies folder at the default home location (if one does not already exist.) Then you need to scp your media into that Movies folder. Then if there isn't a Movies share under Video, you'll need to to "Add Source" and add it.
Edit:

I downloaded Putty (I use Windows) and can seem to login as "frontrow." Am I doing this right? If so, what next?
download winscp and copy your files into the Movies dir
you can also make subdirs if you want

then either browse manually or add the dir as a source for library mode to work