Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC freezing when opening any video after being unattended for a while
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been happening almost every day for a while now and has become quite the annoyance. If I start up XBMC and watch videos immediately, everything works great. On the other hand, if I come home after a day at work and try to play a video after XBMC has been running all day, it freezes as soon as I hit Select on my remote to play a video.

All screen saver and power settings are disabled on my machine. I can browse around XBMC just fine, it's only when I actually try to play something that it freezes. At this point, I usually restart X or reboot the machine, fire up XBMC, and go about my business.

Here is the crash log: http://pastebin.com/0PL7DrjR

Ubuntu 9.10 updated to 05/13/10, i686, PPA
I also found out today that it freezes not just when opening a video, but also if I attempt to shut down XBMC.
mccowin Wrote:This has been happening almost every day for a while now and has become quite the annoyance. If I start up XBMC and watch videos immediately, everything works great. On the other hand, if I come home after a day at work and try to play a video after XBMC has been running all day, it freezes as soon as I hit Select on my remote to play a video.

All screen saver and power settings are disabled on my machine. I can browse around XBMC just fine, it's only when I actually try to play something that it freezes. At this point, I usually restart X or reboot the machine, fire up XBMC, and go about my business.

Here is the crash log: http://pastebin.com/0PL7DrjR

Ubuntu 9.10 updated to 05/13/10, i686, PPA

EXACT same thing was happening to me. I have a zotac ion board with 1GB ram and full ubuntu 9.10 installed. I got pissed off eventually and just ran xbmc live off of a thumb drive and setup transmission-daemon for my torrents. Havent had one issue since. best part is if you want to go back just unplug your flash drive.
On a hunch I tried killing pulseaudio while XBMC was hanging. Sure enough, it started playing the video, albeit without audio. Stopping and restarting the video brought back the audio. So, like half of the issues I've had while using Ubuntu, pulseaudio was the culprit.

Any ideas what would cause it to hang like this?
I have the exact same issue at the moment.
I'm having the same issue with hanging, on my xbmc live box too.
Looking at the crashlog, my guess is it's videodriver/xorg related.
I've been having a similar problem.

Often, instead of freezing however, mine will crash out to the terminal screen.

Generally, (but not always,) if I move around a little bit in the folders and force the network to respond, it'll work. Dunno why...
I am also having a similar problem.

Mine can be reproduced by moving swiftly through the main menu screen.

When I quickly scroll through a menu I loose sound. After this xbmc begins to use 100% cpu (seen it top using tty1-crtl+alt+f1), when this happens the next thing I try to play, or trying to exit xbmc, causes complete unresponsiveness. I must killall xmbc and xbmc.bin and then restart gdm.

Here is my xbmc.log http://pastebin.com/9UgB67YG

I believe this 'may' have something to do with pulseaudio or alsa.

Any clues?

Cheers.
Not sure if this is relevant? Here is my messages log file. Show lots of pulseaudio entries...

http://pastebin.com/Z70TcM8q

Thanks again for anyone who looks at this!

EDIT:
20:44:14 T:140227330967584 M:1376858112 WARNING: CRITSEC[0x7fff7bd01810]: Trying to initialze initialized section.

What does this mean? ^^^
exact same issue here too. if it's left unattended it freezes up and I have a constantly swelling xbmc.log with

Code:
21:05:28 T:3079468928 M:545816576 WARNING: CRITSEC[0xbfc9a91c]: Trying to initialze initialized section.
21:05:28 T:3079468928 M:545816576 WARNING: CRITSEC[0xbfc9b3fc]: Trying to initialze initialized section.
21:05:28 T:3079468928 M:545816576 WARNING: CRITSEC[0xbfc9b22c]: Trying to initialze initialized section.
21:05:28 T:3079468928 M:545816576 WARNING: CRITSEC[0xbfc9b05c]: Trying to initialze initialized section.
repeated about 50 times per second. I let the log file get to around 350mb, all filled with these looping and xbmc still never came back. the install is still responsive though, and I can ssh in and issue commands (like sudo reboot!) without any problem. every time the 'Working' dialog pops up and is visible despite no command being issued to merit its appearance.

System Specs as follows;

XBMC Live PRE-10.5 r28256 (Compiled : Mar 1 2010)
Aeon65 Skin
Revo3610 with 1Gb RAM
Audio output over Optical
all the group permission set ok?

ie audio/video/pulse group to include the login user name?

also, u might wanna experiment running xbmc with sudo to see if the same happens after running xbmc in sudo mode for some time.