Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Scanning media info from music folder takes long
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, some thing that annoys me. I have a big collection of music in mp3 format (GBs). The collection is shared on a computer in my local network. XBMC gets access to the folders of the collection via SMB. When i try to open that music folder, it starts "scanning media info" and it takes quite long. Is it somehow possible to make it do it a bit faster? Or am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any help in advance.
It's reading all the tag information for the files in the current folder. If the folder contains a lot of files, it can take long. You have three options:

1) Organize your file server better so there isn't a bizillion files in a single folder. Xbmc actually works best in a /root/artist/album/song.mp3 structure because we can then also import an artist.jpg image from the /root/artist/.

2) Turn off Read Tags from Settings -> Music -> Files. It'll only display the file names then because the tag information hasn't been read.

3) Scan your music into the library. Not only will this speed up files view because all the tag information is cached, you also get the advanced browsing options of library mode.