Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Getting my Harmony to function as a keyboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, all. I've spent many hours combing through threads, but I'm super newbish and I cannot get things to work the way I want. In essence, all I want if for my IR receiver and XBMC to see my Harmony as a keyboard. I figure this is the easiest way to get my buttons mapped as I like. But it just wont work.

Currently I have my Harmony calling the XBMC PC a Windows Media Center device. It's emulating the MCE remote that I've had for years. It works, but these's very little flexibility in the buttons I have to choose from. Now, I know that there are a lot of threads on remotes and such. I'm just having a really hard time getting everything to work. Is there anybody that would be willing to help me via PM or email? I don't want to start yet another thread, but I'm just terribly lost and would really like to get the remote functions working the way I want. Thanks!

-Jon
Oddly, the Radio, Picture, TV, Video, etc. buttons work fine. But none of the others. I did turn on the "remote sends keyboard presses" options. But the directional pad, letters, numbers, none of them work. What can be wrong?

By the way, this is a Harmony 880. I'm running XBMC Camelot over a full install of Ubuntu 9.10.
Hi - if you haven't already, have a read through this thread - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54466 - ignoring amending keymap xml's etc. Set-up as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard, in Harmony activity set-up and the basic keystrokes should be there for you. Then you can map from the harmony set-up (no need to alter internal xbmc keymapping files) specific keypresses - eg 'green button start' - which I have mapped to the 'menu' button on my Harmony One - see here for instructions http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xb...ter-remote

Sorry just noticed you are running Ubuntu - ignore the 'green button start' fix - Its for Windows.
Thanks, steelman. I have read through that other thread, but figured I would just append my quesiton to the existing thread. Thanks for your help.