Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] Duplicate music library entries when "and" word is used in artist name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I see a strange behavior with the Music library on my Xbox. Some artist (not all) that have the "and" word in it are duplicated. As an example:

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan

As you can see, both entries are there, but only the one with "and" in it is valid (the file and the MP3 tag are named with "and").

So I decided to test a bit further. If I change the filename and the MP3 tag to use the amp sign (&) instead of "and" I see only one entry. It is a good workaround and I don't mind renaming my files, but I'd like to see if someone have seen that problem before? Is it a bug that's worth submitting to the bug tracker?

As I said before, this behavior is NOT seen with all artists with "and" in the name, just some of them. Here are some more details about my environment:

- Xbox version 1.4
- Music is on a Samba share
- I use XBMC T3CH bins rev28472 (last rev is crashing a lot but I can update for testing if absolutely necessary)

I can also install XBMC on Linux and Windows if needed.

Thanks,

Jean-Philippe
Are you sure some of your files don't have tags you don't know about? This sounds awfully like an inconsistent tag problem, and the most likely case is that some of your files have an album artist tag using "&" but they have an artist tag with "and". Changing the artist tag "&" corrects it because now the artist and album artist tags are the same. When in doubt, take a look at one of the offending files in a hex editor to be absolutely sure.
Hi kraqh3d, thanks for your reply.

Well, that's strange enough. I checked the Artist Album with Amarok 2.3.0 and it displays both Artist and Album Artist with "and". However, displaying the tag with mid3v2 display something else:

> /usr/bin/mid3v2 -l ./Albert\ King\ and\ Stevie\ Ray\ Vaughan\ -\ 01\ -\ Call\ It\ Stormy\ Monday.mp3 | strings | grep ^TPE
TPE1=Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughan
TPE2=Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan

So you were right, there is a difference. Thanks! I think Amarok doesn't support the Album Artist tag quite well as I can't even edit it.

So again, thanks for your help, problem solved!

Jean-Philippe