Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Please help something is wrong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK. I have just installed xbmc live onto this computer to a duel boot with windows xp i have partitioned the hhd so that windows is in one, my files on another (ntfs so windows can see it) and another for xbmc live.
when I first installed it looked great except I couldn't add any files because it didn't mount the hhd for some stupid reason so after a bit of forum searching I was able to find that I had to change /boot/grub/menu.lst to remove nodisk mount. I did this and it worked YEY!! that is until i went to actually play a movie and at first it was just black and white then bule and white then yellowish and white then back to blue and white where it stayed. I rebooted and then there was no picture at all just a black screen but I could hear the move playing and the screen would flicker different shades of black.
I figured that updateing to the lates builds could't hurt and might fix it so I:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I was asked to setup Tvheadend so i did.

And now xbmc wont even start it just goes straight to the bash terminal and it sort off blanks out every 30 seconds or so for about 2 seconds then resumes. In theses blackouts the screen goes blank and it doesn't accept any keyboard instructions but works fine when it recovers.

I have tried to add PPAs by
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
and i'm told incorect comand or something (I can't remember exactly)

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Do I need to install proprietary drivers for my ATI Radion HD 3300 if so how do I do that from command line?
Am I doing something wrong with the ppa?
Quote:Do I need to install proprietary drivers for my ATI Radion HD 3300 if so how do I do that from command line?

Yes. Updating will break the drivers and they have to be re-installed.
Download from supplier home page. Best place for support is probably ubuntu forum.
how do i reinstall them?
downloaded the .run file from amd and found: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239797
hope it works...
Big Red Wrote:sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The fatal mistake.No

NEVER do that.

XBMC live is a fully functional HTPC OS. There is no need to fuck it up in that manner. Few if any tweaks are needed. In your case the few tweaks would have been for ATI (Why people even bother with ATI is still a mystery).
FishOil Wrote:The fatal mistake.No

NEVER do that.

XBMC live is a fully functional HTPC OS. There is no need to fuck it up in that manner. Few if any tweaks are needed. In your case the few tweaks would have been for ATI (Why people even bother with ATI is still a mystery).

how does that help me?
anyway i got the proprietary drivers running. and now to boots fine maybe even better than before (i might just be imagining things).
I still have the problem i started with tho. no picture from movies.
Is anyone able to help there?
could it be a codec thing? i just expected it to have all necessary drivers.
Big Red Wrote:how does that help me?

It should be obvious.
xbmc works fine in windows xp so i think ill give up trying to get it to work of linux.
just need to find out how to get live tv hooked up. (cant wait till full PVR comes in)