Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lucid, XBMC, Nvidia Restricted and Framebuffer Woes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After installing Nvidia drivers from the FTP site on Ubuntu Lucid, booting is so temperamental. Sometimes it freezes at a crappy splash screen, a flashing cursor or actually completes booting. Its a problem thats going on for a while, now I want to fix it.

So I heard about a fix that would fix that by adding framebuffer=y to splash.conf.
While that did solve my booting problems, XBMC now complains about xbmc needing an appropriate graphics driver which I know is installed because Xserver loads up fine.

Anyone know a fix to get me back in to XBMC?
I have XBMC running quite fine on a minimal lucid install with the nvidia-current from the ppa, just had to manually apt-get libvdpau
Yeah, I'm now using the drivers from xswat seems to be ok now.
Damn it its happening again. Even with the drivers from PPA and FRAMEBUFFER=y Ubuntu always freezes at the splash screen. If I remove the HDMI cable and reboot, its fine but im left with no display..
Must be a problem with your setup man. Happily running Lucid AMD64 + PPA Nvidia driver on a 9400GT. Stable like a rock.

boba
Yeah, I'll start from scratch and instead install a PPA driver rather than a package from Nvidia. At least I won't have to re-install the driver every kernel upgrade.
you sure it crashes? with my installation, sometimes the boot animation is running forever and no XBMC, but I can SSH into the system and do a "sudo init 3"
after that, XBMC starts immediately
I'm having this same problem. It just stays on the Ubuntu splash screen but I can ssh in and start xbmc. Has anyone found a fix for this?