Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Horizontal image shift
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered a problem like this and if so, what can be done to correct it.

I'm running XBMC on a Linux box connected to a ViewSonic PJ503D projector. I've noticed that with some movies (not all), the image "jumps" left or right when the shot changes, almost like it's trying to center the picture or...something. The most recent case was Red Dragon - it was very evident in the scenes with Graham and Lecter talking wherein the camera would cut back and forth between their faces.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with XBMC, with the projector, with the encode... I tested the file on another system with just an LCD monitor and it doesn't seem to have a problem, so I'm guessing it's not a problem with the file.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate any assistance you can provide.
I think you are referring to "tearing"
if you search for that in the forums you'll find lots of info.

If you're using an ati card, then find the setting for v-sync in catalyst, and set it to always on. That should fix it
Or just turn on VSYNC in XBMC itself?
Actually, VSYNC is on and tearing isn't the problem. I didn't do a very good job of clarifying what's going on - sorry about that.

The problem is that the entire image, at once, shifts to one side. It's as if someone bumped the projector from the side and moved it, only the projection area on the wall stays the same - it's just that the whole picture shifts sideways inside that area. And again, it's not by very much, but it's enough to be noticeable.
Run the movie on a different media player on the same box if you running linux to rule out XBMC, I would be very surprised if its XBMC as a bug like this would have been spotted long before now
Pardon the months-long blackout - I was moving into a new house and just now got the projector set back up.

I was testing it last night and this issue presented again. One thing I noticed that was somewhat interesting was that the image also shifts upon launching and/or closing XBMC, which suggests to me that maybe it's a display-mode problem since XBMC is set to launch in fullscreen mode.

I want to test it with another media player tonight and I'll report the results, but I'm wondering if maybe it's a driver issue. I'm using NVidia's proprietary driver for an onboard GeForce 8300 (Ubuntu's OSS drivers didn't play nice with OpenGL and thus with XBMC), maybe there's some setting in the NVidia display manager?
Look into any vga calibration settings the projector has.
Sorry to revive a years-old thread, but I'm still seeing this problem and, following a recent update to XBMC 12 (which accompanied a full OS reinstall from Ubuntu 10.04 to 13.04 so I'm nowhere near convinced that XBMC is the problem), it seems that the shifting is more pronounced. It seems to only coincide with cuts in the video that's playing - Again, it's most noticeable in dialogue scenes that cut back and forth between characters - it's almost like something(?) is trying to center the character's face in the frame. Still running the same projector and still using an Nvidia binary driver (albeit a newer version).

Which VGA setting should I be looking for? Would it help if I posted a video of what's going on?

As I said, sorry for necro'ing an ancient thread, and I'm not pointing fingers at XBMC. Just figured that with the focus of XBMC being what it is, maybe someone here has seen a similar problem and figured out what was causing it. If this isn't the right place to ask, can someone direct me to a more suitable subforum or website?

Thanks a ton.