Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android OS remote control question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I found the android XBMC remote app while researching how I might control an XBMC media center from an android phone. I have seen several programs that allow media center control from an android phone but all of them seem to be trying to have the phone emulate a remote while using an external monitor (not the phone screen) for display. Either that or stream the media straight to the phone. I'm looking at installing a media center on a 60' Yacht and I want to be able to control the media center from anywhere on board via WIFI/Cellular connection via the phone itself using the phones screen as my monitor (since I could be on the bow, flybridge, cockpit, or anywhere I can't see the main monitor connected to the media server) to review and choose music/video but using the media center itself for the sound output. I'm trying to figure out a clear way to explain this, lol. I want to be able to view my albums and playlists on my android phone, select what I want to play and have it play (output sound/video) on my media center in the Salon of the boat which is connected to the central stereo system, not stream to the phone. I have seen software called Gmote than can do this with their server app. Can it also be done with a media server running XBMC and a phone running the android XBMC app?

Hopefully my question is understandable. Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

P.S. I love the fact that I can stream my media straight to the phone itself as well, lol. I just want to be able to select music from the android application and have the sound output from the media center itself as an option instead of streaming it to the phone.
As can clearly be found on the website for the Android XBMC Remote project (http://code.google.com/p/android-xbmcremote/) this is all possible:

General

* Remote control with the look of the Xbox' DVD Dongle
* Control XBMC's volume directly with your device's volume buttons
* Fast access to items in list via hard- or soft keyboard (long-press Menu)
* Manage multiple XBMC instances
* Live view of currently playing playlist
* Notification bar shows what's playing with direct access to "Now playing" screen (can be disabled)
* Large screen (854x480) support, while maintaining 1.5 compatibility
* On incoming call, display who's calling on TV screen and pause video until call is over
* On incoming message, display on TV screen
* Setting that prevents your phone locking the screen. You can apply it either for remote control only or all screens (or disable it completely)
* Tabs looking and behaving like HTC's Sense UI, also check out the Gallery.
* Ultra fast cover download for recent XBMC builds (>r27770)
* Texture support for HTC Tattoo, Google Nexus One as well as Motorola's Droid/Milestone.

Music Library

* Cover art is shown where available
* Now playing screen allows skipping, seeking, stop and pause
* Browse by album, artist, genre

* XBMC's "Hide artists who appear only on compilations" setting is taken into account when listing artists
* Within a genre, browse by albums, artists and songs
* List all albums and songs of an artist

* Browse compilations only
* Browse files directly
* Sort by album, artist, title, track number etc..
* Play and queue albums, songs, genre selections and much more directly without having to turn on your TV. For instance it's possible to queue/play all songs from an artist but of a certain genre.
* Primitive listing of current playlist with options to jump to another song or remove a song.

Movie Library

* Browse by title, actors, genre.
* Display all movies of a genre or with an actor.
* Displays movie poster and actor thumbs where available.
* Play trailer from details page where available.

TV Shows Library

* Browse by show, season, episode or by actors and genre.
* Dynamic thumb rendering with wide banner support
* Displays episode and show details

There is also a section with what they want to implement in the future and one of them is streaming to the Android phone...
Thanks! I am waiting on the new Sprint Evo and don't yet have an Android phone otherwise I would have simply given it a try. I did not understand the feature explanations and had assumed they only referred to actions taken using the server monitor itself (the videos I saw may have misled me). I'm really looking forward to giving this a shot. Amazing convergence happening between software and gadgets lately. Android and a lot of open source software seem to be reaching a critical mass =)
simply great, I already saw the screenshots, and I like it, now I just wondering how to make it work...

Runing under Androis 2.1 Spica Galaxy...
jraven Wrote:(the videos I saw may have misled me).
I can tell you: They haven't!
That's due to the fact, that there isn't any. From what I know there is no video showing of our app. Wink

But you'll see, that the remote has all the features you want. Plus more. So get your phone and try it.

BTW: XBMC for music playback on a yacht is a f***ing awesome idea Smile To bad we're only on charter yachts whenever we're on a sailing trip.
emal011 Wrote:simply great, I already saw the screenshots, and I like it, now I just wondering how to make it work...

Runing under Androis 2.1 Spica Galaxy...

Come to our subforum and you'll get all the help you need.
Hey guys,
this might help you out,

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post541100

or

http://setupguides.blogspot.com

it's a web based remote control i wrote, sound like it could be what you are looking for.