Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] - Serving DVD Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new to XBMC. I've installed it (whatever the general release ver for win32 was as of 5/15/2010) on my XP Pro SP2 system and created library entries for music files (mostly MP3) and DVD files in both DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) and ISO format. My client is an HP DV6000 laptop running Vista 64 Home Premium. This laptop has an IR remote which works with the preload s/w, HP QuickPlay and Windows Media Center, and QuickPlay can connect to UPnP Media servers.

Locally on the XBMC server, everything in the library I created plays fine from from XBMC itself, MP3, DVD folders, and ISO files but remotely on the client via UPnP only files from the music library will play. Using QuickPlay, I see entries for Video, Movies then Genre, etc but NOT Title so I'm not able to choose anything. I figured that was a limitation of QuickPlay so I tried installing XBMC on the laptop and connecting via UPnP to the server. I can see everything in the server library from XBMC on the client but when I try to play a DVD folder or ISO, XBMC hangs on the laptop.

Before I spend more time trying to make this work, I want to ask if it *should* work and/or if there's a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd like to use the HP laptop as a LAN/TV interface and play media on TVs in various rooms over the LAN. I can do that now using Daemon tools to mount a virtual DVD from the server then use the HP QuickPlay DVD player (which also responds to the laptop's IR remote) but I really like XBMC's library presentation.

I'll admin, I haven't spent a great deal of time sifting through the information here but the searches I have done are inconclusive. Some people seem to be able to play ISOs and other can't. Is there a better client/player for the laptop than XBMC itself? I know I'll lose the ability to use the IR remote (without some other kludge) if I give up on QuickPlay and Windows Media Center (which I haven't been able to get connected to the XBMC server) but that'll be ok. I can always fall back to the virtual DVD drive approach.

This is my first foray into the world of Media Servers. I've well-versed in general networking and PCs though. Thanks.
I would install XMBC on the laptop and use SMB shares for your library instead of uPNP. Not sure how your remote will work with XBMC, though.
Finally had some time to try your suggestion. It works great, thanks! Surprisingly, the remote works too.