Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: My old ATV CrystalHD setup is great
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone. I've been browsing these forums looking for the status of CrystalHD, and I'm baffled.

I setup an ATV + Ubuntu 8.04 + XBMC back in the days where XBMC had a dedicated CrystalHD branch, and the only driver we had was leaked. And it's working great: it can play hours of 720p and 1080p rips, it never stutters. It only stutters at the start and when I pause it, and only for a couple of seconds.

But now I'm browsing these forums, and there's lots of complaints of frequent stuttering, bad 1080p issues, etcetera. Even dan1son said recently "Just have to pause/resume every 20 minutes or so when it starts stuttering."

I have nothing like that. How come? Sure the initial stuttering happens, but what's 10 seconds at the start of a movie.

The reason for this post is that I was planning to update my setup to the new drivers, a more bare-bones OS (it's running under full gnome atm!), and a recent xbmc version, but now I don't know. I would really rather not have to pause/unpause every 20 minutes, or get unbearable stuttering after some playback time.

I'm just curious as to why these new versions seem to have more issues than the old ones.

Cheers
andrereis Wrote:Hi everyone. I've been browsing these forums looking for the status of CrystalHD, and I'm baffled.

I setup an ATV + Ubuntu 8.04 + XBMC back in the days where XBMC had a dedicated CrystalHD branch, and the only driver we had was leaked. And it's working great: it can play hours of 720p and 1080p rips, it never stutters. It only stutters at the start and when I pause it, and only for a couple of seconds.

But now I'm browsing these forums, and there's lots of complaints of frequent stuttering, bad 1080p issues, etcetera. Even dan1son said recently "Just have to pause/resume every 20 minutes or so when it starts stuttering."

I have nothing like that. How come? Sure the initial stuttering happens, but what's 10 seconds at the start of a movie.

The reason for this post is that I was planning to update my setup to the new drivers, a more bare-bones OS (it's running under full gnome atm!), and a recent xbmc version, but now I don't know. I would really rather not have to pause/unpause every 20 minutes, or get unbearable stuttering after some playback time.

I'm just curious as to why these new versions seem to have more issues than the old ones.

Cheers

Pay attention to which OS is being run on the AppleTV in postings. ATV(Linux) seems to be running much better than ATV(OSX). The OSX kext did not exist back in those days.
Davilla, which is the recommended driver under linux? Yours, Jarod Wilson his or another one?
Tijntje Wrote:Davilla, which is the recommended driver under linux? Yours, Jarod Wilson his or another one?

1.0.3 tag in my svn. Do NOT take trunk, bcm70015 development in progress and some breakage is present.
" ATV(Linux) seems to be running much better than ATV(OSX) "

Never thought of the ATV(Linux) Way ...

Could someone advice me the Linux way? Is the installation complicated, any good faq`s?

Never thought about it until now, but i' m not glad with the ATV(OSX) ...

Am I able to shut down the ATV(Linux) "on the fly" like my ATV(OSX) or do i get problems with the unix file system?
oezkan12 Wrote:Could someone advice me the Linux way? Is the installation complicated, any good faq`s?

I had this long essay describing why you shouldn't do it, just take my word for it. It's not worth it, don't do it unless you are fine with tinkering with things and are moderately proficient with Linux.
I've had the same experience as andrereis is describing.

I haven't updated my ATV running ubuntu 8.04 (w/ crystalhd) for months now.

I keep checking in to see if i should be updating, but it doesn't look like much is new or improved since the SVN:28256 build of xbmc and the 1.0.3 tagged branch of the crystalhd code from davilla.

is SVN:28256/1.0.3davilla the best place to be in the linux on appletv world?
drewjacks0n Wrote:I've had the same experience as andrereis is describing.

I haven't updated my ATV running ubuntu 8.04 (w/ crystalhd) for months now.

I keep checking in to see if i should be updating, but it doesn't look like much is new or improved since the SVN:28256 build of xbmc and the 1.0.3 tagged branch of the crystalhd code from davilla.

is SVN:28256/1.0.3davilla the best place to be in the linux on appletv world?

yes
Philmatic Wrote:I had this long essay describing why you shouldn't do it, just take my word for it. It's not worth it, don't do it unless you are fine with tinkering with things and are moderately proficient with Linux.

Bah, follow this wiki guide and you will be fine.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV
hmm.. @davilla, a quick question.

i would go via linux path if i would know that i could install a torrent-client as i have it now (i.e. transmission on atv (with native atv software on it)). do you think it would be possible? thanks.
grey Wrote:hmm.. @davilla, a quick question.

i would go via linux path if i would know that i could install a torrent-client as i have it now (i.e. transmission on atv (with native atv software on it)). do you think it would be possible? thanks.

I don't torrent so can't answer from personal experience.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+8.04+torrent-client shows about 39,400 results so I would think it's doable.
davilla Wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/

Confused

thanks ))