Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Apple TV Discoloured screen when booted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

First of all I'd like to thank to all involved in bringing us the XBMC to aTV, under original OS and Linux.
I bought the aTV to replace my old Xbox, and I'm quite happy with the decision, with the CrystalHD card it is perfect for my needs.
I managed to install everything under aTV OS without bigger probs, google was my best friend Wink
As for Linux installation I followed the
"HOW-TO install a Miminal Ubuntu and XBMC with sound over HDMI on the AppleTV"
guide, and again with a little help from google I managed to get to the end without any major glitches.

But when I boot my aTV with the usb key, in the middle of boot sequence whole screen goes from black to purple/pinkish colour and it stays like that. I can see everything on the screen, but in purple, the same in XBMC.

Any suggestions? Probably something stupid/simple.

thanks
under frontrow, change your hdmi color output settings
that sorted out. I would never thought about that. Can I ask how Frontrow settigns afecting Linux?
docentore Wrote:that sorted out. I would never thought about that. Can I ask how Frontrow settigns afecting Linux?

Has to do with the fact that the AppleTV does not have a BIOS and so VBIOS is not available to Linux and it does not have complete control over the display setup. Linux takes the display info atv-bootloader gets from EFI about the display setup. The color space is not contained in this info so Linux makes the wrong assumption and you get pink Smile
davilla Wrote:Has to do with the fact that the AppleTV does not have a BIOS and so VBIOS is not available to Linux and it does not have complete control over the display setup. Linux takes the display info atv-bootloader gets from EFI about the display setup. The color space is not contained in this info so Linux makes the wrong assumption and you get pink Smile

I just ran into this issue using Crystalbuntu. Is there a way to do fix this issue if I no longer have access to frontrow?

I'm not sure why all of a sudden my display when pink and has stayed that way. I have not upgraded the kernel at all. Nothing seems out of the ordinary in the logs. I can upload them if it helps.

Thanks.
sbutts Wrote:I just ran into this issue using Crystalbuntu. Is there a way to do fix this issue if I no longer have access to frontrow?

I'm not sure why all of a sudden my display when pink and has stayed that way. I have not upgraded the kernel at all. Nothing seems out of the ordinary in the logs. I can upload them if it helps.

Thanks.
Having the same issue with CrystalUbuntu after a recent update of the OS. Ran "apt-get upgrade", rebooted and now have the pink overlay on the screen which starts during boot.

How can I fix this if I don't have access to FrontRow any longer?
I don't need HDMI audio out, so I went ahead and upgrade the nVidia drivers and that resolved the issue for me.
dirajgoel Wrote:Having the same issue with CrystalUbuntu after a recent update of the OS. Ran "apt-get upgrade", rebooted and now have the pink overlay on the screen which starts during boot.

Same as you.... apple tv, crystal ubuntu, no frontrow, all pink Sad

any help Huh
dirajgoel Wrote:Having the same issue with CrystalUbuntu after a recent update of the OS. Ran "apt-get upgrade", rebooted and now have the pink overlay on the screen which starts during boot.

Upgrade is a bad idea. I have updated using the normal install and there is not problem
Alternatively upgrade Nvidia drivers which will kill HDMI audio
Same here. Ubuntu + AppleTV. I can roll back to a really old backup and the pink screen goes away. As soon as I do an 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade', I get the new versions of XBMC, however I get the pink screen as well... =(
n2deep Wrote:Same here. Ubuntu + AppleTV. I can roll back to a really old backup and the pink screen goes away. As soon as I do an 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade', I get the new versions of XBMC, however I get the pink screen as well... =(
How did you rollback your install?
dirajgoel Wrote:How did you rollback your install?

When I initially started using the "Crystalbuntu" live cd, I did things a bit differently than the normal howtos.

I replaced the internal ATV harddrive with an 8G CF card (fast) and DD'd the restore image on top of that. I then logged in, upgraded items as necessary (basic system patches, etc) and made a quick backup of the entire filesystem to the USB drive.

'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup'
'rsync -av --exclude=/mnt / /mnt/backup' (this will take awhile).

After this is done, I have a basic snapshot of the linux installation. Reverting back to this is easy.

'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup'
'rsync -av --delete --exclude=/mnt /mnt/backup/ /'

Throw on a reboot after this and you'll be golden again.

What this allowed me to do is to create the first 2 partitions needed for the booting of the Linux system, boot from a liveUSB device, go in with parted and delete my swap and linux install partitions (/dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4). After that I could recreate them with parted to use the full amount of space. I formatted the partitions appropriately (ext3 for /dev/sda3 and swap for /dev/sda4) and then I just restored from my USB drive with the rsync command listed above.

Now the problem I have is that if I want to install any Ubuntu updates, something triggers that pink screen problem, so I'm stuck running an old, outdated ubuntu (I wasn't too good with keeping my backups current, mybad).

Davilla: Any idea on what changed with the Ubuntu 8.x updates that would be causing this and how to correct it?

It seems to be a problem with Xorg not being able to pick the right colorspace, but I'm not sure what values need to be changed.
pink screen , change the display settings under frontrow. it's the only solution that allows you to retain audio of hdmi. If you don't care about audio over hdmi, then update the nvidia driver.
davilla Wrote:pink screen , change the display settings under frontrow. it's the only solution that allows you to retain audio of hdmi. If you don't care about audio over hdmi, then update the nvidia driver.

Since this is a full HD replacement, I don't have frontrow anymore than I know of. My system basically hits the apple bootloader which does the handoff to grub and kicks linux from there.

I'm assuming there's a way to manually tell Xorg which colorspace to use if Frontrow isn't available, any ideas what that would be?

Also in all seriousness, thanks for your support on this project, your past posts have been key in getting my setup rocking. Thank you for all your work. Smile
Hey there,

I just wanted to mention that a slight workaround is to ensure you update XBMC only via 'apt-get update && apt-get install xbmc'. However, to be frank, this sucks as upgrading the core components of the OS for security related issues is next to impossible without tripping over the bad package.

At this point I'm not quite sure which package is the one causing the problem. I was able to get rid of the pink screen with the updated Nvidia drivers, however as Davilla mentioned, HDMI sound died.

So for now it's workable, however being unable to update the OS itself kind of sucks in regards to security.
Pages: 1 2