Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTv] No audio over HDMI Ubuntu 8.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I followed the guide at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV to the letter and have had no luck with getting sound over hdmi to work at all.

My aplay -l output is
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

Any ideas?
kcarney Wrote:Hello,

I followed the guide at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV to the letter and have had no luck with getting sound over hdmi to work at all.

My aplay -l output is
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

Any ideas?

Did you set up custom audio in XBMC settings?
Code:
Go to XBMC Audio output settings and choose custom for the Audio output device.
Set it to: plughw:0,3

That's it, you should have sound over HDMI!
I missed that when I did the install.
Also you wont get any sound in the XBMC menus only during video play back.
Yup I did put that in there. Though I must admit I've been messing around with this since 5pm EST and during my testing neglected to notice that the menu click sounds seem to be coming out the optical audio port and not the hdmi. The HDMI is working, however, it is only used when vids with analog audio are playing (why?).

It seems XBMC still needs some work in the area of selecting audio outputs based on multiple connected outputs at any given time.

For example... I don't want to wake the neighbors *sometimes* so force all files to be downmixed and output via HDMI to my TV.. and on occasion turn on the receiver and let passthrough do its job. I guess add that to my wishlist.

Anyway.. So why would the menu clicks be played over optical and not HDMI when I have selected plughw:0,3 as an output device?
kcarney Wrote:Yup I did put that in there. Though I must admit I've been messing around with this since 5pm EST and during my testing neglected to notice that the menu click sounds seem to be coming out the optical audio port and not the hdmi. The HDMI is working, however, it is only used when vids with analog audio are playing (why?).

It seems XBMC still needs some work in the area of selecting audio outputs based on multiple connected outputs at any given time.

For example... I don't want to wake the neighbors *sometimes* so force all files to be downmixed and output via HDMI to my TV.. and on occasion turn on the receiver and let passthrough do its job. I guess add that to my wishlist.

Anyway.. So why would the menu clicks be played over optical and not HDMI when I have selected plughw:0,3 as an output device?
I'm not sure why, I just remember reading a post a few months ago and someone mentioned it.
There new Nvidia drivers fails to output HDMI audio
You need to rollback to 100.14.19 version..
See the wiki about installing linux over appletv http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV
@nikiv

As I said in my first post, I followed those instructions to the letter.
@kcarney
As far as I remember over some topics you need to turn your TV before starting appletv
Also make sure that iec958 aka SPDF output are enabled, right?
@nikiv

I have the ATV connected to an HDMI splitter so *something* is always on when atv is booting. iec958 is enabled and that's where most sound is coming out of.. IE menu clicks and all passthrough audio
@kcarney
Out of curiosity do you get "Failed to initialize audio device" when playing movie?
If not but still silent, what do you have in your .asoundrc?
try this
PHP Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
        slave 
{

pcm "spdif"

rate 48000
                format S16_LE

}

Sometimes I do get "Failed to Initialiaze Audio Device" but not all the time. I have to look into the exact circumstances when I get home.