Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Linux img for ATV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i'd be interested as well Smile
sorry Sam for disturbing you in your process of building that, but I have a question.

will that be full blown Ubuntu distro with drivers etc or trimmed to atv custom image
and it would be nice if it is based on smth like Xubuntu (less memory use, i guess). maybe i'm wrong, just an opinion Smile
I have installed Xubuntu and Ubuntu into 2 acer aspire revo one. I didn't notice any speed change on them, in fact I got a problem playing flash with Xubuntu.
I got appletv runing the minimal ubuntu, and It was much faster compared with the two ION's Acer with full xubuntu and ubuntu, atleast for booting. The only incovinience for me is that with minimal ubuntu on atv you can not run anything on X besides XBMC.
@Sam, can you please tell an estimation of time of release.. i've got a usb hub from the office, and wonder should i install it from scratch by myself, or i should wait for your offer Smile

thanks
I recommend installing from scratch solely for the learning experience
* davilla recommends "sudo apt-get install usbmount" if running xbmc in it's own session.
Sam thank you for doing this, I too am eagerly waiting for the image. My crystalhd-Atv at the moment can't touch 1080p movies even from internal hdd. And the interface is so damn slow it's borderline unusable.
Hold on I'm wrestling with sound at the moment. I have ALSA and NVIDIA drivers but I'm messing with XBMC to get the sound output.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hold on I'm wrestling with sound at the moment. I have ALSA and NVIDIA drivers but I'm messing with XBMC to get the sound output.

I had an issue with the audio under linux and xbmc. Everything looked fine, but didn't output any sound. I changed options few times and it worked.
Yeah I've set up the Custom Device, I'll try later to get it going I'm sure I'll be OK.
Sam I was reading that with Linux on atv you need to choose hdmi or spdif audio. Right now I need component & spdif, but in a couple of months I'll have hdmi. Will you have 2 versions or some way to select which output to use? Thanks for spending your time on this! I've been wanting Linux on my atv for some time now.
you can toggle spdif/rca/hdmi
Will it partition the ATV drive and install linux beside the apple OS or will it overwrite whole drive and partition.
it's designed for USB but can easily be restored to /dev/sda (internal) if you want to
Pages: 1 2 3