Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Banners / Cover Art Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys. I've been using the remote on my android and I love it. I just have one question. Is it possible to use a different banner/cover on the remote than what the XBMC system uses? I like the poster view on the system but want to get the wide banners on the remote for my TV shows. I've been trying to figure out how to make this work and I'm probably just missing something simple. Thanks for any help.
You just have to put the tv show banner into it's folder and name it "banner.jpg" (not sure, but something like that Wink).
Thanks for the quick reply. No luck though. I put the banner in the shows directory and tried banner.jpg , folder.jpg and "show name".jpg. I've cleared the cache multiple times and restarted both the xbmc system and the app. It still only pulls in what xbmc has set as the icon, not what's in the directory.

I'm running version 7.1 of the remote and r28256 of the system if that makes a difference. I let XBMC do all my updates as well if that would make a difference for some reason. So no .nfo files or other jpgs in my TV directories at this point.
ok, i updated XBMC to a more recent build (r30515). Is there a more recommended build? It halfway works now. Sometimes it will grab the banner, sometimes it doesn't. It does this randomly as it will pull in the banner.jpg for a show after I clear the cache and re-download once, but then the next time it doesn't get the same banner and users the poster instead. It randomly grabs the proper banner for different shows so I can never get it to grab all of them. I always get something as a poster. Any ideas?
The wide thumb is indeed called "banner.jpg".

I've had issues with "normal" posters showing up as well, so I'll look into that issue again (please create a ticket on the issue tracker nevertheless). However, remember that banner.jpg is directly loaded from the share where your TV shows reside and are not loaded from XBMC cache. That means if your shows are on a NAS which usually has its disks spun down, it'll take a while to get the NAS back online, while the remote's request usually times out and uses the fallback thumb, which is the standard poster from XBMC.
the_alien Wrote:You just have to put the tv show banner into it's folder and name it "banner.jpg" (not sure, but something like that Wink).

Why not just call it folder? It's a pain to rename every file in each directory "banner"
Because folder.jpg is parsed by XBMC and then cached. Banner is used in case you're not using wide thumbs in XBMC but still want them on your remote (the Alaska skin is using the same convention btw, for special wide thumb views).
freezy Wrote:Because folder.jpg is parsed by XBMC and then cached. Banner is used in case you're not using wide thumbs in XBMC but still want them on your remote (the Alaska skin is using the same convention btw, for special wide thumb views).

Ok, gotcha. Any shortcuts for those who use banners in their system without lots of re-copying/renaming?
If no banner.jpg exists, the default one will be taken.