Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Annoying stutter - How to fix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

So, I recently got an Acer Aspire Revo 3610. Followed some directions on here and upped the video memory to 512mb, and then did a clean install of Windows 7, a codec pack, and the latest stable build of XBMC. After finally configuring my library properly so that everything was read I thought I'd managed to get it working. I've been watching SD episodes of NCIS, and everything has been fine.

However, earlier I tried to watch the new episode of Doctor Who in 720p, and there was some very annoying stuttering. It was definitely noticeable and annoying. Also, there were periods where the audio seemed to get out of sync. There shouldn't be any problems with the network streaming, since it's coming via gigabit. I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that I don't have access to DXVA since it isn't in the build that I downloaded. I don't want to use one of the latest trunks however because they seem to break Aeon Auriga (namely, if I set custom pictures of backgrounds, it no longer says Games/TV Shows/etc. Instead, it just lists the folder address). Is there anything that I can do to fix this? My intention is to try installing the Live version and use the hardware stuff in that, but I'd really prefer to not use Linux if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I should also note that I tested some other 720p files, to make sure that it wasn't just that file, and they were all doing the same thing.
You can get rid of the codec pack first of all.

Secondly, you'll need an SVN and not a stable to get a Revo working. This is due to it needing DXVA enabled in your XBMC video settings. The latest stable does not have this.

Try the latest SVN from the nightlies section on XBMC and see if that breaks Aeon. I dont believe it would. But not sure really since I dont use it.
SlaveUnit Wrote:You can get rid of the codec pack first of all.

Secondly, you'll need an SVN and not a stable to get a Revo working. This is due to it needing DXVA enabled in your XBMC video settings. The latest stable does not have this.

Try the latest SVN from the nightlies section on XBMC and see if that breaks Aeon. I dont believe it would. But not sure really since I dont use it.

Unfortunately, I've tried 2 latest nightlies available. They've both caused that issue, which is unfortunate since it's my preferred theme (since I like the way it nicely separates TV Shows and Movies, into 2 separate sections entirely).
Then sad to say you dont really have a choice then. Keep the bad playback or ditch the skin. This is the problem with using skins other than the defaults if you don't know how to fix them yourself. They lose support as new ones come out or the authors just lose interest on keeping them updated.

Most skins separate TV Shows and Movies completely. Not sure what you are seeing that's different from other skins?
SlaveUnit Wrote:Then sad to say you dont really have a choice then. Keep the bad playback or ditch the skin. This is the problem with using skins other than the defaults if you don't know how to fix them yourself. They lose support as new ones come out or the authors just lose interest on keeping them updated.

Most skins separate TV Shows and Movies completely. Not sure what you are seeing that's different from other skins?

Well, it's a combination of the separation and general view that I really enjoy. It shows things like plot and such in a nice, easy to read format. I'm not sure if other skins do that as well or not.

Currently, I'm trying the Live Linux version of XBMC. Once it finishes processing my library I'll see if things work. If not, I'll go back to Win7 and just deal with a different skin.
TV and Movies are all ways separate that's part of XBMC

Ask in the following thread which build worked well using DXVA and still has the old method of installing skins

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69306

Otherwise its a case of learning which files you need to add to make skins work with the new addons
The reason I want to keep using this skin is because of things like this:

http://imgs.nickkuras.com/XBMC/screenshot001.bmp
http://imgs.nickkuras.com/XBMC/screenshot002.bmp
http://imgs.nickkuras.com/XBMC/screenshot004.bmp

I really like the way that looks, and I've yet to find another skin that, on the main screen, has TV Shows and Movies separated like that. I'm sure there's plenty, but the defaults do not do that and I greatly dislike it.
Funny I don't know any without separate entries on the home menu including the default Confluence, sometimes you have to enable them Wink

But like I said use an older version that supports DXVA that uses the old way of installing skins then you can use any skin you want
>>X<<' Wrote:Funny I don't know any without separate entries on the home menu including the default Confluence, sometimes you have to enable them Wink

But like I said use an older version that supports DXVA that uses the old way of installing skins then you can use any skin you want

Odd, I looked for a way to enable those items, but was unable to find it. Must have looked in the wrong section.

What's the old way vs new way of installing skins? I've always just copy/pasted the skin into the skins folder. Is there a new way? If so, that could perhaps explain why things weren't quite working properly.

I'm currently reinstalling Windows on my Revo, with the intention of trying an SVN build. The Live version of XBMC worked great, up til the point I realized that my remote wasn't working and it would take a lot of code tweaking to get it to work properly. I think, at this point, I can deal with using a different skin provided I get proper 720p playback and a working remote.

Thanks for the assistance so far guys.
The latest builds install skins from addons so you need to use a build with DXVA that still installs skins the old way from the skin folder

Ask in that thread I posted at least then you might find a stable build
Relatively soon new builds that include the addon system are going to be being built again via the build bot, which means, if you really love Aeon Auriga (seriously, though, ALL skins, to my knowledge, separately TV and Movie on the home screen) you might be best off asking a Skilled Skinner who does work with Aeon if there's any chance of an update to take advantage of the new system.
Well, I made a post in the section of the forum dedicated to Aeon, describing some of the problem and asking if there is a new version planned.

Also, the main reason that I use Aeon Auriga, as opposed to things such as the skins built in, is due to the way it displays episodes. It shows a nice little graphic, the name of the episode, a plot description, and some other information in a very nice looking way. You can see it in one of the pictures I posted in a previous post. If there were a way to tweak Con or PM3, I'd use those without hesitation.

Thanks for all the advice though everyone. My machine is currently scanning my library, pulling all the information again, so in an hour or so I should be able to test a 720p video and see if it works, now that I have the DXVA enabled.
There is no reason you cant use Aeon on one of the older builds with DXVA without any issues at all try one of the mods from phil65 or ekim232 both based on Auriga, ekim232 has two versions his latest being slightly different

The original Auriga has problems because it was released for the OpenGL version of XBMC not the DX version its very old and was never completed

You could have tested 720p playback from file mode

Think your rushing into things without finding out enough first Smile

phil65 mod