Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Can't access Windows Shares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
AuXBoX Wrote:I've never had problems with this just follow this guide it's not that hard.

HOW-TO share folders over SMB using Windows 7

then in xbmc add network location and add smb://(your computer name)/

example:
smb://COMPUTER-PC/

Where not talking about simple sharing....Where talking about Having Windows Live Essentials 2011 on Windows 7 and getting it to share!!!
finite3 Wrote:Yep. With the security change, you don't have access to enumerate the shares on \\blahblah

I didn't try to fix this - I just added the shares I wanted to sources.xml.

That's cool....But I have a Sumvision Cyclone MKV Full 1080p HDMI Network Media Player...that I'm trying to get to work again.
FishOil Wrote:Not that you asked me specifically.

I use clonezilla to do an entire partition backup. My XBMC machines are players only and have not one single video on them. The backup is compressed and transfered over the network (SMB) on-the-fly to the NAS. Its restored in the same manner. Backup is about 10 min and restore is about 5.

I keep the OS / XBMC partition reasonably small so I can always restore to some other drive if need be (like a smaller hard drive). If you clone a 60GB partition (even if you only use 5 GB) you cannot restore to a smaller drive (like a 32GB drive). So I keep the partitions small for the OS / XBMC.

Thx for the comments. So Clonezilla runs from a USB drive - so if the puter O/S dies you can restore it using that s/w from the USB. Okay. I'll give that a whirl.

My ION box is the same - player only using a 32Gb SSD. I have fitted a 2nd drive for any media related things - like pics, music, screeenshots etc (these are not so critical). I don't leave my NAS going all the time.
The old instructions no longer work if you install the windows live essentials update.
You need to do the fix above.
We were sharing fine UNTIL we installed the update.
digzz Wrote:That's cool....But I have a Sumvision Cyclone MKV Full 1080p HDMI Network Media Player...that I'm trying to get to work again.

Well if you're not runnig xbmc then..

a) why not?
b) what are you doing here?
c) you'll prob have to remove windows live essentials
d) if your NMP allows you to enter an account in for the SMB options, then try setting up a nonadmin account on your PC, and authenticating via that, on your NMP.
finite3 Wrote:Well if you're not runnig xbmc then..

a) why not?
b) what are you doing here?
c) you'll prob have to remove windows live essentials
d) if your NMP allows you to enter an account in for the SMB options, then try setting up a nonadmin account on your PC, and authenticating via that, on your NMP.

a) I am running xbmc live. I have Both.
b) To fix the Problem that microsoft made!
c) Don't really want to do that.
d) What's a NMP ?
OK, so, ignoring A and B..

NMP = Network Media Player. e.g. WDTV Live

The fix listed works for XBMC. It may or may not work for an NMP.

Maybe you should try the forums for your NMP or another one (like the Western Digital forums) - it looks like this affected everyone with Win7 & Live Essentials..
Is there an easy solution for this problem without de-installing windows live and without introducing security risks (permissions)? Thanks you.
orviwan Wrote:This was driving me insane, but I now have my old XBMC (XBOX) working again with Windows 7 & Windows Live Essentials 2011.

This process involves allowing anonymous access to your Windows shares, so don't do this if you're paranoid about security.

1. On the 'Security' tab of your shared folder, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' & 'List folder contents'.

2. On the 'Share permissions' tab, give the 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' user account 'Read' access.

3. Start > Secpol.msc .... Navigate to 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options' > 'Network access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously'. Enter the share name. e.g. FamilyMovies. You add one per line for multiple shares.

Job done. No need to uninstall Live Essentials 2011.

I solved this issue using these instructions!
Thanks ssboisen, will try it out this weekend and report back.
I just discovered that it seems like this won't work for new files that are added, that is, you will have to apply the security permissions again for new files - i really hope there's a proper fix for this soon!

Edit: Okay this problem is related to how the file is copied, it seems that sickbeard doesn't make windows apply security settings when it copies over the file, this is probably related to how python copies/moves files?
I managed to get this working on my Windows 7 64bit box simply by having Homegroup turned on and the right click each share, choose "share with" select "specific people" and then "add" and type "everyone".

Job done.
I am having this same issue on Windows XP PC after updating XBMC from 9.X to Dharma RC1. I have never installed, or used, Windows Live Essentials, or any of the discussed gaming-enabling software. All of my media is hosted on a linux-based NAS, which show up in windows "My Network Places," and they are attached to my XP-hosted XBMC over SMB shares. I have been using XBMC for about a year with no issue accessing these shares until update to Dharma RC1. So I am not sure what the fix would be for me, other than go back to 9.x.

Dharma RC1 just keeps asking me for my profile password....
I found out that this issue is related to a bug in Samba which handles access to windows shares in ubuntu (thanks to this thread), the bug have however been fixed since july of this year. Upgrading libsmbclient will fix the issue however the updated version of libsmbclient isn't available in the package manager and you have to do this to install the new version:

Code:
wget http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu//pool/main/s/samba/libsmbclient_3.5.6~dfsg-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i libsmbclient_3.5.6~dfsg-1ubuntu2_i386.deb

when it's done you need to reboot and it should work, it did for me.
This sounds good thanx for the help, i shall try it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6