Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Windows] General (easy?) HTPC/Remote Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking into building a new pc, on this general premise:
1) Pc goes upstairs. Becomes family pc, for internet, browsing, email, listening to music etc. Attached to a monitor and speakers using VGA/DVI and Line Out/Headphone.
2) Drop a HDMI cable to the room directly below, where the TV is. Extend the display onto that screen, have XBMC run on that screen and pass sound over HDMI (this part I did today with my own laptop). Having XBMC set to run windowed means that while something is playing downstairs, someone else can use the internet upstairs.

Now there's the issue of control. Ideally I'd like to control it with a remote. I don't know if there exist wifi remotes - the only thing google has turned up so far is a phone/mid with an app (eg iPod Touch), which is an expensive option, much more expensive than I'm willing to pay.
So then there's IR remotes, which seem to be the norm from what I've found poking around here. I can always get an extension to the receiver cord and drop that down along with the HDMI cable, that's not a problem.

Real question time:
1) Any guide I've found thus far has been for using a remote with XBMC on either the Xbox or Linux. Is the process the same/similar on Windows?

2) Can the remote be used to control xbmc when it's not the window in focus? Ie. can someone upstairs be using the computer, whilst someone downstairs is flicking through media? Or is "Play" linked with "Keyboard press *Space*"

3) What's the best value (essentially cheapest, useable) remote? I don't need fancy features - just basic navigation.

4) This mobo (with Radeon HD 4200, This processor, 2gig RAM and Win7 Home should be powerful enough to run XBMC and 2/3 other programs at the same time (Firefox, Music, Email) shouldn't it? [obviously I'll have suitable HD, cooling, PSU etc too]
Look for an RF remote perhaps?
1. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

2. To control XBMC when it doesn't have the focus you will need Eventghost or something similar. In Windows the remote works with XBMC be generating keystrokes and whatever has the focus will get those keystrokes.

3. Using the MS remote, or a compatible like the HP, is the least pain though any MCE remote can be made to (mostly) work. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews for a few ideas.

Speaking as one who has been there, done it and been nagged by the wife I strongly recommend getting a Revo or similar to use just for the TV. This is much simpler to manage and can be hidden away behind the TV to reduce uxorial stress.

JR
While getting a dedicated TV computer would be great, we have no family computer, and can't afford to be buying 2 pcs. Also, unless this project is started this year, it never will be :p