Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What do I need?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay planning on upgrading my old PC to use as a HTPC. I wanted to know what do i need to add to make XBMC run SMOOTHLY. (Currently XBMC doesn't even play videos)

Here are my Computer's current specs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information
OS : Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 [5.1 Build 2600]
Display Mode : 1280 x 1024 32bit 60Hz
Memory : 504 MB
DirectX : 9.0c
CPU
CPU Name : Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood)
Vendor String : GenuineIntel
Name String : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Platform : Socket 478
L2 Cache : 512 KB [Full:1799.14 MHz]
Device
ChipSet : Intel 845PE/GE/G/GL (Brookdale-GE/G/GL)
North : Intel 82845PE/GE/G/GL
South : Intel 82801DB (ICH4)
IDE Controller : Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Graphics
Video : Intel 82845GE GC
Video Product : Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Video Vendor : Intel Corporation
Video Chip : Intel® 82845G Graphics Controller
Video RAM : 64 MB
Driver Version : 6.13.01.3485
Driver Date : 2003/03/13
HDD
Type Size Model ( Buffer Mode )
IDE 120.0GB ST3120022A 2048KB Ultra DMA/100
IDE 40.0GB ST340014A 2048KB Ultra DMA/100
Mother
Vendor :
Product : i845G-W83627
Version :
You need this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

You need to make sure you are committed to that PC doing nothing but XBMC (as it won't multitask well).

You need to blow away Windows and intall XBMC Live once that 8400 GS PCI card is installed (with NO AGP card).

You then need to get a gigabit card if you plan to stream over a gigabit network.

I have a comp just like that one for a guest room Front End.
Thanks,

Will having XP in the back be a problem?
Also, how would the functionality of XBMC be (loading of menus, thumbnails, etc) with the card you have mentioned?
Are you sure the card would work as it is DDR2 and my mobo accepts DDR
I'll also throw in some RAM and another HD.
I don't plan on streaming ATM
Are you planning on playing HD files?
mohitgarg Wrote:Are you sure the card would work as it is DDR2 and my mobo accepts DDR

what does the RAM on the graphics card have to do with the RAM on your motherboard?

also, I don't think it would be worth to invest in a PCI graphics card. I know that you can't get any factory new nvidia cards with AGP anymore that also support VDPAU, but a used card on ebay would surely do the job, just look it up here what model to get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs

it would be good to throw 2GB of RAM into the mix, but as your system only supports AGP and IDE please bear in mind: every investment you make in this system may not pay off... you can get complete Atom/Ion systems such as an Acer Revo 1600 for as low as 199$ that does nearly every job thrown at it better and with much lower power consumption than your old system

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
Hannes The Hun Wrote:also, I don't think it would be worth to invest in a PCI graphics card. I know that you can't get any factory new nvidia cards with AGP anymore that also support VDPAU, but a used card on ebay would surely do the job, just look it up here what model to get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Pure...HD.29_GPUs

There is no AGP Nvidia graphics cards that support VDPAU. A PCI 8400 GS is the only thing that will work in a computer that ancient.

I personally don't think it is worth it either, but I am known to throw out working hardware all the time just to buy new stuff to play with.

If someone wants an AGP/DDR era Pentium 4 to playback HD video, that person needs a PCI 8400 GS.
mohitgarg Wrote:Thanks,

Will having XP in the back be a problem?
Also, how would the functionality of XBMC be (loading of menus, thumbnails, etc) with the card you have mentioned?
Are you sure the card would work as it is DDR2 and my mobo accepts DDR
I'll also throw in some RAM and another HD.
I don't plan on streaming ATM

XBMC will be plenty fast enough- it does ok on my Pentium 4 frontend. You are probably served well by adding 1+GB of RAM total, but unless you are going to get an SSD for the thing a newer HD might not give a huge performance boost. You say you don't plan on streaming, which implies using this as an HTPC+Server, something that might be a little much for it unless its the only client (aka what you store on the box only plays on the box).

I know my Pentium 4 XBMC box (with nearly the same hardware as you have here) does a good job streaming stuff from my media server. I wouldn't replace my ION box with it, but it does the job.

XP is a problem though- only Windows 7 supports DXVA2 which gives enough of a GPU boost to playback HD video with such a setup. And I wouldn't put Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 to save my life!

No, if you are wanted to use such ancient stuff, then you need the speed boost Linux/XBMC Live provides.

If that scares you, then buy new hardware. Part of the reason Linux exists in the consumer space is to maximize ancient hardware. XP just doesn't do the job, unless you only plan to watch Divx quality stuff.....

Don't worry about the DDR2 on the card. That Nvidia card is for a PCI slot, which I am sure that computer has.
Ya, I agree I should probably change the PC itself. I might be urged to get the ION based system
poofyhairguy Wrote:I personally don't think it is worth it either, but I am known to throw out working hardware all the time just to buy new stuff to play with.

that reminds me... Cool

I read it up, was really thinking that VDPAU should be supported with the right chipset no matter the bus, but indeed it's not supported with AGP cards. bummer.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:that reminds me... Cool

I read it up, was really thinking that VDPAU should be supported with the right chipset no matter the bus, but indeed it's not supported with AGP cards. bummer.

Yep, that PCI 8400 512mb card is the last hope of so many potential P4 HTPCs. If I ever find them at a cheap price I might stock pile a few just to convert some old desktops to HTPCs for my family...
don't forget to also stock these HP MCE remote receivers, we could make a living selling these babies here in the forums! Big Grin
Hannes The Hun Wrote:don't forget to also stock these HP MCE remote receivers, we could make a living selling these babies here in the forums! Big Grin

Laugh
thanks for the info guides, but what would u say is best, switch to ION or upgrade my current system

Can ATA hard disks be found?
Or is there a SATA to ATA adapter
mohitgarg Wrote:Can ATA hard disks be found?

The largest ATA disk available are 500GB.
that's enough for me (atleast at the moment, but with my other query, are there special adaptar cables that have one side ata and other sata
Pages: 1 2