Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't play any DVD movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings all,

Installed XBMC v1:9.11-lucid2 couple of days ago (XBMCbuntu on minimal ubuntu 10.4) and figured out that I can't play any DVD (even audio CDs). If I insert a DVD, the window pops-up saying "successfully mounted" message but doesn't play anything. If I try to play the disk manually, the warning says: No Disk Media Detected. I already got libdvdcss2, libdvdnav4 and libdvdread4 installed and have ran "/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh" script couple of times without any joy. Does anyone know what am I missing? Just let me know if any specific info you wanna know which may help to debug this issue.

Thanks in advance for you help; it's very appreciated. Cheers!!!
Does anyone know what might be the problem? I searched the site but didn't get that much of info to fix the issue. Am I the only one seeing this problem? Where should I look in? Cheers!!
Any one? Any suggestion? Sad
Read here.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!
at work at the moment, so can't check; report back in the evening.

But the question is: It looks like a old bug and got fixed, so why am I still seeing this? Looks like no one else is having this problem anymore, so why just me? Just wondering if I'm still missing some fundamental things. Any thoughts?? Cheers!!
Sorry guys, for the bringing this old post back - I thought my previous drive was broken but the same thing is happening to another drive as well. lshw -C disk outputs this:
Code:
*-cdrom
       description: DVD writer
       product: CD/DVDW SH-W163A
       vendor: TSSTcorp
       physical id: 1
       bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom
       logical name: /dev/cdrw
       logical name: /dev/dvd
       logical name: /dev/dvdrw
       logical name: /dev/scd0
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: TS01
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          logical name: /dev/cdrom
Which is perfectly alright, I think. But, whenever I put a disk in the drive I see this in the dmesg:
Code:
[ 1168.015443] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1168.015449] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1168.015455] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Read of scrambled sector without authentication
[ 1168.015463] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 02 00
[ 1168.015475] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 4096
[ 1168.015479] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 512
Anyone else is seeing this as well? I really appreciate some input/comment on this. Cheers!!
the dvd drive issue is a xbmc bug which has been fixed in svn
I think, the problem is even deeper - I can't even see the disks are being mounted in the system level either. Can anyone, with Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS), check to see if they are experiencing the same please? Cheers!!
Since you are on 10.04 you could test the New beta1 release (dharma).
DVD is working for me on the 10.04 based Livebeta1
vikjon0 Wrote:Since you are on 10.04 you could test the New beta1 release (dharma).
DVD is working for me on the 10.04 based Livebeta1
I'll give a try dharma' although I doubt that XBMC is the actual problem, unless it changes something in the system, level. But again, who cares if it's works in XBMC and not anywhere else?
What type of drive you have - IDE or SATA? and which motherboard? Cheers!!
Quote:changes something in the system, level

Mounting is done on xbmc level...ubuntu minimal will not mount anyting.
vikjon0 Wrote:Mounting is done on xbmc level...ubuntu minimal will not mount anyting.
aahhhhh........ that's interesting!! I didn't know that. In that case, do I still need ubuntu-restricted-extras to be installed? Cheers!!
Quote:ubuntu-restricted-extras
Not 100% I think not. If you use live it is working out the box.

You could always test the New LiveBeta and see if it works for you.
vikjon0 Wrote:You could always test the New LiveBeta and see if it works for you.
A some what dumb question: How do I test/run the Live version? After burning the iso on to a USB stick, should I boot the computer off the stick? Cheers!!
fixed in XBMC 10 beta1 r33324. Install XBMC from team-xbmc svn repo
Pages: 1 2