Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: networking htc desire to laptop without router
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi
im trying to get my desire linked up to my laptop so i can use this kick ass program but have had zero luck so far.
i dont know a lot about networking so i was hoping someone here could help me.
as i said im trying to do it without a router which leads me to believe i need to use an ad hoc connection. the problem is, when i set it up both on my laptop and on my desire they dont detect each other.
can someone tell me what im doing wrong?
i really wanna get this up and running as im a huge fan of xbmc and use it constantly.
oh and im using win 7x64.
any help would be appreciated.
cheersBig Grin
Zeron Wrote:Try this:
http://bink.nu/news/windows-7-as-an-wifi...point.aspx

dont have my laptop at work with me but ill definatley give this a crack when i get home. thanks.
Zeron Wrote:Try this:
http://bink.nu/news/windows-7-as-an-wifi...point.aspx

theironyuppie Wrote:dont have my laptop at work with me but ill definatley give this a crack when i get home. thanks.

im sorrry to report that this didnt work, it seems as tho the guy who made the tutorial already had his phone networked to his laptop and this tut is to share the computers internet connection rather than network the phone and pc.

any other suggestions?
Oops, ignore
One thing about Desires (I found when setting up mine) is that they can't detect a hidden SSID even when you save it in your phone. Make sure that your connection isn't hiding the SSID in the settings on your network device (and make sure you turn encryption on). The phone should then be able to detect.
It's not really relevant for an XBMC forum, but Android does not officially support ad-hoc wireless networks yet. If you've rooted your phone there there are workarounds, though.
Well, you need to be in the same LAN as your XBMC host. If you have no wireless access point that allows this (since wired network is not an option with the mobile device), you're kind of lost.

You could always try the proposed ad hoc solution mentioned above. I guess with 2.2 and tethering it will work too. But this is more like a general issue than related to the remote control.
If anyone is still wondering about this, I just found a way to do it. Basically you need to set up the laptop as an access point using Connectify (free, and simple get going). Then connect to this new WiFi network with your phone. Open a command prompt and type:
Code:
ipconfig
Amongst the results look "Wireless LAN Connectify connection" and note the IPv4 address. Back in Android XBMC Remote set up a new host as usual but use this address as both the host and access point.
tid100 Wrote:If anyone is still wondering about this, I just found a way to do it. Basically you need to set up the laptop as an access point using Connectify (free, and simple get going). Then connect to this new WiFi network with your phone. Open a command prompt and type:
Code:
ipconfig
Amongst the results look "Wireless LAN Connectify connection" and note the IPv4 address. Back in Android XBMC Remote set up a new host as usual but use this address as both the host and access point.

thanks for the tip, finally got it working! much appreciated.