Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 10.04 Lucid: Do Not Install Lightly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have read through what must be the tenth thread of the day regarding a broken installation on Lucid.

XBMC often depends on kernel modules and any number of system packages to function. Why would anyone assume it was a good idea to move to a brand new OS version that is not yet supported?

Please do not misunderstand. I completely understand developers and advanced testers moving to the new release. However, it is somewhat frustrating when relative novices decide to update the OS and then complain when it breaks XBMC. In light of that, I have posted this topic in hopes that some will take note and save themselves (and those that end up helping them) some frustration.

If you have a functional installation of XBMC, I encourage you to leave it alone. Enjoy it.

If you use the XBMC PC primarily as a desktop, understand that it will either be a desktop or a media center. One will always win. If you upgrade the OS to better meet your desktop needs, you already made your choice. Media center computers are exceptionally cheap ($165 Acer Revo 1600 at TigerDirect). Is it worth hosing your install just so you avoid $165?
I agree. I did a fresh install of lucid and had a severe time getting the system even partially working. I'm in the process of going back to karmic now.
well, that's the beauty of a linux system: if it doesn't work, you can fix it Wink

but yes, upgrading makes absolutely no sense at the moment. when doing a new installation, lucid might be worth a try, but there are some minor and major problems right now that require some serious reading in the forums and shell hacking. I'm happy now with my lucid XBMCbuntu install but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't plan on some nights worth installing and configuring.
My Lucid install works perfectly, but the PPA for Lucid doesn't have the latest build (before they suspended them for the addons merge), so it doesn't contain the central MySQL database support. But yeah, if Karmic works, don't bother upgrading until there's some super-important function that only Lucid can provide.
i have it on 9.10 and after upgraded to lucid 10.04, there were some teething problems with hdmi sound esp with nvidia drivers..
but they have been sorted now..

it'd be good to use the updated ubuntu coz it comes with faster booting and updated kernels. but I must say it comes with a price... u will need to troubleshoot it to make it work... well for me, its a hobby... get it working to the point whereby it becomes a proper functioning system.... with ubuntu, i get to learn new stuff every 6 mths on resolving linux issues...
farbird Wrote:with ubuntu, i get to learn new stuff every 6 mths on resolving linux issues...

yeah, that reminds me... Wink

after some remarks from poofyhairguy I finally also tried out the new dsplayer windows builds after ignoring the windows branch for like years and have to admit that these guys did an awesome job with DXVA and ffdshow HDMI passthrough, but I just love to have a box that directly and lightning fast boots into XBMC mediaplayer-style and does everything my way

there's nothing like hacking and reading for hours how to get the stupid atheros wifi working and when it finally works you're jumping up and down in your apartment like a complete weirdo yelling "I did it!" Cool
Hannes The Hun Wrote:yeah, that reminds me... Wink

after some remarks from poofyhairguy I finally also tried out the new dsplayer windows builds after ignoring the windows branch for like years and have to admit that these guys did an awesome job with DXVA and ffdshow HDMI passthrough, but I just love to have a box that directly and lightning fast boots into XBMC mediaplayer-style and does everything my way

there's nothing like hacking and reading for hours how to get the stupid atheros wifi working and when it finally works you're jumping up and down in your apartment like a complete weirdo yelling "I did it!" Cool

Or you could run a cheap CAT6 wire and never worry about it again...
farbird Wrote:with ubuntu, i get to learn new stuff every 6 mths on resolving linux issues...

This is what we call self-inflicted pain. I have 3 laptops, 1 netbook, 1 server and an XBMC box at home, all running Ubuntu. I would never blindly adopt every release of the OS just for the sake of it.

My netbook is accustomed to being upgraded at the drop of a hat and does well. The rest of the machines, I actually expect to work. Because of that I upgrade them when it makes sense, never before. As the XBMC box has only two purposes (XBMC and makemkvcon/HandBrakeCLI), I don't even perform a package upgrade unless I have a good reason.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:after some remarks from poofyhairguy I finally also tried out the new dsplayer windows builds after ignoring the windows branch for like years and have to admit that these guys did an awesome job with DXVA and ffdshow HDMI passthrough...

I agree that great strides have been made with the Windows version. But if the box is dedicated to XBMC, it seems like a lot of work to get it to perform almost as well as XBMC Live does from the outset.

PS Yes I know someone will complain about TrueUltraHDTSMegaSound passthrough. Yeah, I don't use that and could care less, but your mileage may vary.
GJones Wrote:Or you could run a cheap CAT6 wire and never worry about it again...
CAT6?? - first of all, not THAT cheap (CAT5e is) and secondly, you don't really need CAT6 at home. Big Grin
actually the netbox is wired, I just wanted to see if I could get the wireless adapter to work Wink
hehe i am actually an avid fan of linux...
I like solving problems.... and if not possible, at least feedback my problem experience to the package maintainers... and hopefully other experts can help resolve..

i guess that's what opensource is all about..

I embrace its beauty and accept its concept.... last but not least, share my knowledge.

http://sglnx.com
Yes, why upgrade to a faster kernel, more optimised system, etc?

In fact, I don't get why you would upgrade xbmc or why they even develop it when what is out already works.

I think Ubuntu, Debian, and all of the other OSs along with windows and macs should quick updating their software since it already works and is therefore pointless to update.
JackieBrown Wrote:Yes, why upgrade to a faster kernel, more optimised system, etc?

In fact, I don't get why you would upgrade xbmc or why they even develop it when what is out already works.

I think Ubuntu, Debian, and all of the other OSs along with windows and macs should quick updating their software since it already works and is therefore pointless to update.

Why upgrade to the faster kernel when you see that dozens of others have failed doing the same thing?

Way too many people jumped too soon on lucid. Do a search and you will see that the evidence is rather obvious. Upgrading often breaks installed software that involves kernel modules (as every VDPAU installation does). There is a significant difference between discouraging technically advanced users to experiment with a new version and encouraging newbies to screw up their systems for marginal (at best) improvements.

For the many users out there that are using XBMC as a media appliance (not a desktop), there are almost no advantages whatsoever to upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04.

Now, if you are developing you are already NOT in the group to which I was referring, obviously. If you had a serious error (like, say, an inability to communicate effectively with a Windows 7 share), your downside was minimal as you already did not have a fully functioning system.

But what great advantage will someone have by using 10.04 over 9.10 as an appliance if their system was already rather functional? Hmm? Because those are the people that had a lot of issues in May.
i had a very painless install of lucid on my ION system. Removed noveau to throw in Nvidia's drivers, and that was about it. I am using Exobuzz's special version of xbmc for the rtmpe support.

Id suggest that people give it ago if they have the time and if not.... then wait till the next version.
Pages: 1 2