Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Understanding Output Stereo to all Speakers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm on the 3/1/10 Nightly.

I have some home videos that I converted from .mts to .mp4 with handbrake. I've put both files into XBMC and something I discovered is that the .mts audio plays fine (it is stereo since my camcorder doesn't do 5.1). I don't have Output Stereo to All Speakers checked.

However, when playing the .mp4 file I don't get any audio unless I check the OSTAS button. Once I check it I do get audio but it definitely sounds different than the .mts. I didn't have enough time to see if it is better or worse one way or the other.

I'm trying to figure out what that button is accomplishing and why I'm getting audio with the .mts but not with the .mp4 without the button checked. The main reason I want to know is to figure out if I'm doing something strange with my handbrake conversion.

Thank you.
What do you encode the audio as, and what is your audio setup (AV receiver, etc?)

In my case anything with stereo audio (mp3) encoded into the audio played silently until I checked "Output Stereo to All Speakers" - until I realised that in my audio settings I had "mp3 compatible decoder" checked when my amp actually can't understand mp3 streams..

Turned that off and voila, audio without fiddling anywhere.

(bumping an old thread because I found it via google while searching for my own answer!)