Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pre-Access NAS to prevent [play] waiting possible at all?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently use XBMC Windows on a Zotac HD-ID11 Box, with all of my media stored on 2x2TB drives in a DNS-323 NAS.

Is there a way to have XBMC pre-access the NAS while browsing, so that when you decide to play a file, you don't have to wait the 5 seconds for the NAS to spin up the drives at that point?

I realize that setting the NAS to prevent the drives from spinning down is an option, but I'd like to extend the live of my drives as long as possible, so I was seeing if this was possible via XBMC, or a feature to add in a future release.
Zxurian Wrote:I realize that setting the NAS to prevent the drives from spinning down is an option, but I'd like to extend the live of my drives as long as possible, so I was seeing if this was possible via XBMC, or a feature to add in a future release.

At work we have dozens of servers and NASes with SATA disks, and we always disable spindown. We see negligable disk failures. I doubt spindown will significantly extend the disk life.

Most disk failures are in workstations that are shutdown every night. I suspect (though can't prove) that it's powering off the disks and powering them on again that contributes most to disk failure.

JR