Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: gui cosmetics: fade to black before video playback starts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi all,

would it be possible to fade the gui to black after one starts to playback a video? so we would gain a smoother transition from the gui view to the playback view. this behaviour has also been implemented in the field of screensavers. before the user sees the screensaver the gui fades to black.

imho this would be a small but delicious improvement for the user experience.

regards,
einhänder
-100. this is osxism i really really hate. it adds nothing but a feeling of lag.
hm, ok. that might be a matter of taste.

personally it gives me that kind of cinema feeling. the last commercial ends/fades out and the main movie fades in. the transition just feels "flowy" and isn't happening abruptly. so the user gets introduced softly to the upcoming view.

EDIT: maybe it would be possible to make this behaviour available as an option? so one could choose.
This indeed would be delicious Wink The transition doesn't have to be slow, it can be fast. It adds a touch of slickness and it gives the user a smooth visual transition rather than what could be perceived as abrupt.

I would also love a quick fade to black after the video ends.
heh, another fader gladiator.

+1 on your proposal.
i guess something between 500-1000ms would be enough.
something like changing the opacity of the UI to black and then putting in the film? seems a little unnecessary - i'm happy enough to watch the programme.
I like the idea. Right now the feedback that a video is starting is an indicator within the skin ("Please wait..."). Having it fade to black would be a suitable alternative. It gives feedback that something is happening and would look nice too. Kind of like theaters dimming the lights as the main feature starts.
I'd love this feature as well. More specifically, on video stop. I usually stop my videos during the ending credits and a fade out back to the main menu would be awesome. Right now it's an abrupt stop and back. I agree making it a settings option is best, everyone has their own taste.
I'd like such a feature too. Fade Out from UI before movie starts and Fade In when the movie ends, and also Fade the movie out on stop. Of course, since it's a matter of taste make it configurable.
Since this thread was started an option has been integrated which I feel is a step into the direction of the original idea. Right now we are able to set a pause period during start and stop events. Now all we would need additionally is an option to activate a fade effect happening during these events. Smile This would come in handy especially on TVs which are slow to switch the refresh rate.
how would it help except slowing down playback start even more? Also this is no requirement for the core but could probably be handled by skins on their own (or some addon reacting on the playback start event)
osx fades to / from black during resolution switching already *ducks and runs*
(2014-02-25, 17:31)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]how would it help except slowing down playback start even more? Also this is no requirement for the core but could probably be handled by skins on their own (or some addon reacting on the playback start event)

It would not really slow down the start of the video playback. There are multiple ways to handle the fade duration. E.g. the most obvious possibility would be to let the fading effect last as long as the value of the pause duration which has been set by the user already.

(2014-02-25, 17:38)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]osx fades to / from black during resolution switching already *ducks and runs*

Great! It would be nice to get that experience on linux boxes, too. Wink
Nah this is the lowest priority i can think of based on the daily bug reports that are streaming into us. Nice that those feature requests are documented - but what gives if we have a car with a nice color - but the egnine only takes fuel from 2 out of 1000 gas stations ...
Another two years have passed - I dare to say it's time to call up this request again. ^^
Pages: 1 2