Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media Manager for Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi,

i've tried to install emm and media-info-plus with wine.
emm doesn't install and m-i-p doesn't start after isntalling.

is there any "linux-only" editor available?

i know, that i could use the new web-interface-editors, but i would like to have an editor, which doesn't have to be connected to my htpc while editing.
We still have a long way to go with UMM, and we are going to be a revamp of the current codebase, meaning a re-write. But we do have some builds of UMM that will allow the basics and a few options pre-compiled. I'm using it myself on my acer revo.

You'll need mono installed. Check out the teamumx forums for details.
x64 bit systems can still be a bugger (under some linux distro's) but we have most working already.

I'll prob have a few more builds of the old codebase coming out still as I break up the internal parts into more modular items that we can re-use as we revamp things. No eta though.
donabi Wrote:i know, that i could use the new web-interface-editors, but i would like to have an editor, which doesn't have to be connected to my htpc while editing.

Use localhost then you can use them on the same machine

For Example

Code:
http://127.0.0.1:80/XWMM/index.html

with

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60643
donabi Wrote:hi,

i've tried to install emm and media-info-plus with wine.
emm doesn't install and m-i-p doesn't start after isntalling.

is there any "linux-only" editor available?

i know, that i could use the new web-interface-editors, but i would like to have an editor, which doesn't have to be connected to my htpc while editing.

MediaReader. I wrote. Supports Windows, Mac and Linux. Don't know any other media manager that can everything MediaReader can.
thanks for all the hints.

@rernst
mediamanager doesn't support german scrapers, or does it?

@>>X<<
yes. localhost. but i still would have to use my htpc to work on the library.

@fekker
i tried to figure out, how to work with mono.
well ... i have to learn a lot more stuff.
donabi Wrote:@>>X<<
yes. localhost. but i still would have to use my htpc to work on the library.

I thought that's what you wanted to do but I guess you media is on the linux pc and you want local artwork nfo's etc ?

I have seen an XP install that runs from USB that would be one way to run ember on that machine as a last resort how well it would work though I don't know
Ember can be used on Linux via Mono, as well. Although, admittedly, we've done very little testing and our experience in Mono support is limited (I'm sure there is much that can be improved.).
What I did was install a virtual box (. Personal edition to get USB funtionality) and then run emm and it works great. I was waiting on umm but looks like it going to be a while and I tried emm via mono but kept crashing. So virtual box worked for me running tinyxp rev09 as the OS.
Hi all...
Just wanted to see if I could get some feedback from the group... would like to know which media managers you are using on the linux platform.

I switched my HTPC over to Ubuntu several months ago, and I am very satisfied with the performance. The major reason I switched was the unpredictable nature of media playback on the Windows platform. Many times I was observing playback problems on the Windows (tried both Vista and 7) such as audio video sync loss, stuttered playback and very slow frame rate... but when using the Linux platform, the same media files never had a problem. I am sure it must be related to some video driver or direct x thing, but I lost the patience.

Now that I am on the Linux platform, every thing is great... except I am struggling with what to use for a media manager. I am still using Virtualbox on my HTPC, to load a Windows Vista instance just to run media managers... I am mostly using MetaBrowser and had very good experience... also tried Ember, and liked what I saw too... UMM looks promising but still not fully functional.

Even though its a valid solution to run the media manager in the virtual Windows instance, its cumbersome to do it, and would love have a solution that runs in the Linux. I tried Ember under Mono and found it to be crashing often.

What do you guys on the Linux platform do for media managers?

thanks in advance for your feedback
regards...
Here is a cross-platform media manager. It still has no moviesets manager, but wil have soon (I hope).

LE: slash just added support for movie sets, so you have a complete media manager. Nod
Hi guys,

I've been using Ember extensively on my windows 7 machine but now that I've converted my htpc over to ubuntu, I'd like to be able to manage it natively on linux. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any programs that work well (or at all) on it. I tried getting Ember to work via wine but I couldn't get it to work.

I'm scrapped for space (watch out, media pun coming through) on my server and I dont have space for a virtual machine and an xp install. If there aren't any good media managers for linux, does anyone know how to configure ember to accept network sources from linux?

Thanks
use you win7 Machine to manage you media on your HTPC.. using Samba you create a Share for Movies and a Share for Tv then in ember you set your source to that Samba Share you created from your HTPC.

the files remain on the HTPC, but get edited via Ember on Win7 box

-=Jason=-
Great, I'll try and set that up later tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the help.
Using Samba can really slow your network down. It killed my network on more than one occasion.
I use sshfs to mount my linux partitions from my xbmc machine to my desktop. I use Ember in Virtualbox but it is "suppose" to work with mono but I have not had much luck with that.
Pages: 1 2