Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linix] XBMC on Acer Revo - No sound via HDMI to Sharp Aquos TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All

I'm not new to XBMC but new to XBMC on Linux.

I have installed Ubuntu KC 9.10 onto my new Acer Revo R3600.

XBMC is installed as an application until i get it working ok, i'll then have the Revo boot directly to XBMC.

My problem is this:

I have connected my Revo to the Sharp Aquos TV via the HDMI cable but no sound comes out of the TV.

My audio settings are:

Audio Output - Digital
AC3 and DTS enabled
Audio Output device is custom set to plughw:0,3
Passthrough output device is custom and set to plughw:0,3
Downmix multichannel is off

When i play a movie XBMC shows error: Failed to initialise audio device. Check your audio settings.

Can you help?

Thanks

Trebz
first things first: your sharp TV is not supposed to receive passthrough DD5.1 and DTS bitstreams, please activate downmix and deactivate the respective streams.

failed to initialise... points to a problem with the plughw parameters or alsa, respectively

as I am quite sure that you don't have a working alsa soundsystem, please see the guides for how to install and configure it (incl. un-muting mixer etc)
Hannes The Hun Wrote:first things first: your sharp TV is not supposed to receive passthrough DD5.1 and DTS bitstreams, please activate downmix and deactivate the respective streams.

Did this and nothing changed, still no sound.

failed to initialise... points to a problem with the plughw parameters or alsa, respectively

Not sure what i'm supposed to do about this.

as I am quite sure that you don't have a working alsa soundsystem, please see the guides for how to install and configure it (incl. un-muting mixer etc)

As ever i thought this would be as simple as:

1. Install Ubuntu
  2. Install XBMC
  3. Watch a movie

I guess i'll have to spend weeks getting the thing to work hehe.

I took one look at the Alsa thing and thought 'I'm selling the Revo and going back to my Xbox'.

Do i really need to install more Linux things to make XBMC work?
well, you could just have installed the live version and be done with it Wink

please use this guide for the alsa stuff:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

usually you DON'T have to update to 10.23 on your hardware, just make sure it's version 10.22
Just built a dedicated XBMC Live HTPC using a Zotac Ionitx A-U motherboard and had the exact same problem, everything except Audio (HDMI or otherwise) working.

I followed the "Upgrade ALSA" instructions in this post and now my audio works great. Maybe it will help you also.
the manual installation of alsa 10.23 can cause some serious problems when updating kernels and stuff and is only necessary when using an ION2 system or newer geforce cards (G2xx and upwards). only recommended when you know what you are doing and how to reverse it resp. fix it by yourself. 10.04 comes with alsa 10.22 and it should also be available as a precompiled package in the ppas for 9.10, not sure about that.
I think Hannes has already touched upon this but have you tried the following..

Open up a terminal window, type alsamixer and press enter. Hopefully you'll see a number of sound sources and by using your arrow keys navigate to the muted components (which will 'mm' showing - it's hard to explain but hopefully easy to spot). Un-mute with the m key, on my Revo 3610 the components were S/PDIF, S/PDIF D & S/PDIF 1 - these are related to your HDMI, Optical out and headphones I believe.

Apologies if you've already done this....
Just my $0.02 - but with regards to XBMC & Ubuntu. Ubuntu 9 caused me no end of headaches and I eventually bailed on it. Ubuntu 10 LTS has worked like a charm since day 1. Up and running in about 2 hours, and I know practically noting about UNIX. All the issues I had before just went away.

Not running on a ION platform tho - so YMMV.
apotropaic Wrote:I think Hannes has already touched upon this but have you tried the following..

Open up a terminal window, type alsamixer and press enter. Hopefully you'll see a number of sound sources and by using your arrow keys navigate to the muted components (which will 'mm' showing - it's hard to explain but hopefully easy to spot). Un-mute with the m key, on my Revo 3610 the components were S/PDIF, S/PDIF D & S/PDIF 1 - these are related to your HDMI, Optical out and headphones I believe.

Apologies if you've already done this....

I did this, all on full volume, none muted, still no sound.
try to boot from the live image and see if the sound works there
BananasQ Wrote:Just my $0.02 - but with regards to XBMC & Ubuntu. Ubuntu 9 caused me no end of headaches and I eventually bailed on it. Ubuntu 10 LTS has worked like a charm since day 1. Up and running in about 2 hours, and I know practically noting about UNIX. All the issues I had before just went away.

I am half way through this upgrade to 10 LTS now. After looking at the links provided so far i decided to take this route first as it seemed the easiest. I do tend to get a little blinded when i see a page full of linux scripting. It always looks quite confusing. Whenever i run these kind of scripts they never tend to work out for me, hence my reluctance to move fully over to Linux.

I'll see how the 10 LTS upgrade goes, i'll let you know the results.

Thanks for the help so far guys, i really appreciate this as i'm keen on using the Acer Revo R3600 as my new XBMC media centre.

I've been using the Xbox for well over a year now and i have been more than happy, i now have a few pence lying around the house so i wanted to upgrade to something a little more beefy :-)
BananasQ Wrote:Just my $0.02 - but with regards to XBMC & Ubuntu. Ubuntu 9 caused me no end of headaches and I eventually bailed on it. Ubuntu 10 LTS has worked like a charm since day 1. Up and running in about 2 hours, and I know practically noting about UNIX. All the issues I had before just went away.

I did this, still no sound.

I do however have a nice new purple desktop wallpaper. Big Grin
Trebz Wrote:I did this, still no sound.

I do however have a nice new purple desktop wallpaper. Big Grin

LOL Big Grin Well, if it makes you feel any better, I am reinstalling again now anyway. I hope you get this fixed.
Hi all

I'm still no further on with this, Still no sound coming through my TV.

Where the hell do i get the XBMC Live CD from ? I have looked all over the place and all i can find is tutorials on how to install it.

I think i may have to throw a big bag of cash at this problem. I think i need to buy a surround sound amplifier with HDMI input. Can anyone suggest a known working / good Amp to use alongside the Acer Revo.

Thanks guys

Trebz
middle class onkyo receivers such as the 608 are always a good buy

also, looking over the thread again, I'm still not sure if alsa was recognizing the HDMI-out (aplay -l) and what device you selected in system audio settings (should be "hdmi"; for severe problems a "custom" --> "plughw:0,3" on the ION platform for both audio and passthrough device is known to help)

btw I have no idea where there's a problem in finding the live images:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc/files/ here's the official 9.11 repack from the XBMC team
Pages: 1 2