Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 2 issues with XBMC on Acer Aspire Revo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently re-formatted my Acer Aspire Revo which was running Ubuntu 9.04 and I installed 10.04 LTS. I put XBMC back on and re-built my library.

Here are the two issues I have.
1. When you see video moving fast, I see a tearing in the middle. Not sure why this is there. I set the video output to the VPDAU (or whatever it says).
2. I downloaded a 1080p mkv movie. It plays great on my PC (quad core, 8gb, etc. you know). but on the Revo it frames and audio stops and while it looks real damn clear, it doesnt play perfectly. I would think that on Linux with XBMC and the NVIDIA ION GPU, it should work.

Any thoughts on this?
Not certain if this is relevant, but ...

Check to make sure that all fancy desktop visual effects are turned off.

I noticed that, on a 10.04 update, if fancy desktop visuals were on (which appeared to be the default) that the system was not using VDPAU to render video. At least it did not appear to be.

Disabling the video effects and dropping back to the lowest level of eye candy, and video playback worked fine again.
Hi there,

I recently installed XBMC on an Acer Aspire R3600 and have no tearing issues. I also tried a 1080P mkv file and it ran stutter free from start to finish.

I would say this was some sort of config issue.

Christian
Agro Wrote:I would think that on Linux with XBMC and the NVIDIA ION GPU, it should work.

just use the board search for "tearing", both of your symptoms are lucid-related
Agro Wrote:I recently re-formatted my Acer Aspire Revo which was running Ubuntu 9.04 and I installed 10.04 LTS. I put XBMC back on and re-built my library.

Here are the two issues I have.
1. When you see video moving fast, I see a tearing in the middle. Not sure why this is there. I set the video output to the VPDAU (or whatever it says).
2. I downloaded a 1080p mkv movie. It plays great on my PC (quad core, 8gb, etc. you know). but on the Revo it frames and audio stops and while it looks real damn clear, it doesnt play perfectly. I would think that on Linux with XBMC and the NVIDIA ION GPU, it should work.

Any thoughts on this?

One thought: 10.04 is not a good idea with XBMC yet.
GJones Wrote:One thought: 10.04 is not a good idea with XBMC yet.

This looks about right. I am going to go home tonight and try disabling any desktop eye candy stuff I can find and see if it improves it. If not, I will re-install with Ubuntu 9.04 or 9.10.

My friend installed XBMC Live and then re-imaged and put 10.04 as well and he says it definitely isn't working as well as 9.04 for him either. But if this "eye candy" disabling is the solution, then I'll stay on 10.04. I'll reply later when I have time to check it out.

THANK YOU ALL.
You are not alone Rolleyes
hello, this is my first post. i bought the revo r3610 from ebuyer last week. i've never used linux before in my life. the first thing i did was wipe off the version that came with it (Linpus) and install ubuntu 10.04. before last week, i hadn't a clue about linux (and still don't). i just picked that version because most of the things i read suggested it was the most user-friendly.

anyway, after that i installed the latest nvidia graphics drivers (195.36.31) - i had some difficulty doing this, (and it took several attempts) but i eventually got there (after reading various guides on this and other forums).

then i installed the alsa sound drivers using the alsa upgrade script, which i found on this or some other forum.

i had lots of difficulty getting the sound to work, but in the end i got there. i have sound in the linux desktop, and sound in xbmc - this is passed over an hdmi cable to a sony bravia TV.

in order to get perfect playback of mkv files (1080p and 720p) i had to make a file called xorg.conf i think, and set some variables in it, which were relevant to my TV (again, i found this information on this forum).

i am running xbmc with the aeon skin and it looks amazing! video playback is completely smooth - there is no tearing or stutter. Big Grin

i didn't have to disable any desktop effects, but i don't think they are enabled anyway, i'm not sure.

the only issue i am really having (and it is not a major issue) is getting flash videos to work properly in firefox - i've made some advances in this, but not quite there yet. Huh

any how, what i'm basically saying is that it is possible to get it all up and running with ubuntu 10.04, it's just not easy! Laugh

i have no knowledge of linux at all, but i managed it - i will admit though, i must have spent 4 extremely frustrating days Confused (at least 36 hours) trying to set it all up, and i must have had to reinstall ubuntu atleast 8 or 9 times, after making mistakes and not knowing how to fix them!
Post the changes you had to make to your xorg.conf. I'm curious...
I have no studder and smooth everything except for this 1080p video (8gb movie). My 1080i stuff "Planet Earth" and "National Geogrpahic" stuff plays smooth. No idea bout this 1080p thing...
I gave it to my friend today who has 9.10 installed on his revo, gonna see if it plays good there.

jacktyler Wrote:hello, this is my first post. i bought the revo r3610 from ebuyer last week. i've never used linux before in my life. the first thing i did was wipe off the version that came with it (Linpus) and install ubuntu 10.04. before last week, i hadn't a clue about linux (and still don't). i just picked that version because most of the things i read suggested it was the most user-friendly.

anyway, after that i installed the latest nvidia graphics drivers (195.36.31) - i had some difficulty doing this, (and it took several attempts) but i eventually got there (after reading various guides on this and other forums).

then i installed the alsa sound drivers using the alsa upgrade script, which i found on this or some other forum.

i had lots of difficulty getting the sound to work, but in the end i got there. i have sound in the linux desktop, and sound in xbmc - this is passed over an hdmi cable to a sony bravia TV.

in order to get perfect playback of mkv files (1080p and 720p) i had to make a file called xorg.conf i think, and set some variables in it, which were relevant to my TV (again, i found this information on this forum).

i am running xbmc with the aeon skin and it looks amazing! video playback is completely smooth - there is no tearing or stutter. Big Grin

i didn't have to disable any desktop effects, but i don't think they are enabled anyway, i'm not sure.

the only issue i am really having (and it is not a major issue) is getting flash videos to work properly in firefox - i've made some advances in this, but not quite there yet. Huh

any how, what i'm basically saying is that it is possible to get it all up and running with ubuntu 10.04, it's just not easy! Laugh

i have no knowledge of linux at all, but i managed it - i will admit though, i must have spent 4 extremely frustrating days Confused (at least 36 hours) trying to set it all up, and i must have had to reinstall ubuntu atleast 8 or 9 times, after making mistakes and not knowing how to fix them!
Agro Wrote:Post the changes you had to make to your xorg.conf. I'm curious...
I have no studder and smooth everything except for this 1080p video (8gb movie). My 1080i stuff "Planet Earth" and "National Geogrpahic" stuff plays smooth. No idea bout this 1080p thing...
I gave it to my friend today who has 9.10 installed on his revo, gonna see if it plays good there.

these are the changes i made to the xorg.conf file. i find this information from another forum, credit to gimp999. i should stress, his tv is a different model to mine (his panasonic, mine sony bravia) so i don't know if they are the "optimum" settings for my model, but frankly, i don't care - how ever it works, it just does, and i'm happy with that! Wink

In the Monitor Section:
HorizSync 31.0 - 69.0
VertRefresh 59.0 - 86.0

In the Device Section:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"

In the Screen Section:
Option "TwinView" "False"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

And finally I added an Extensions Section:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"