Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc on ubuntu server 10.04?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sure this message has come up quite a few times, but i cant seem to find the answer. is it possible to run a xbmc server from my Ubuntu file-server (no gui)? and if so, whats the best way about going about it?
Yes, you can ... I am running it this way, very clean and minimal. There are a few posts on how to do it in the forums - I do have them bookmarked for reference, just on my work PC at the moment, so no access to them at the moment
do you have to use xbmc live?
no, I don't think so, but bear in mind that when using ubuntu server you also have to use the server kernels, which could be a little problematic when you need proprietary graphics drivers for GPU decoding and/or alsa HDMI output
Hannes The Hun Wrote:no, I don't think so, but bear in mind that when using ubuntu server you also have to use the server kernels, which could be a little problematic when you need proprietary graphics drivers for GPU decoding and/or alsa HDMI output
Using a desktop kernel instead is just an apt-get away...
yeah but that makes the whole idea of using the server edition obsolete Wink

as long as we don't have any details of his hardware and what aspects of a "file server" he is actually using it's hard to say, I'm not even sure if he really is using the server edition or just referring to the minimal desktop install without GUI
Hannes The Hun Wrote:no, I don't think so, but bear in mind that when using ubuntu server you also have to use the server kernels, which could be a little problematic when you need proprietary graphics drivers for GPU decoding and/or alsa HDMI output

Hannes ... I am using an x64 server install of Lucid, I have no problems at all with using VDPAU or audio over HDMI...

It's extremely lightweight and runs very lean. I also use it as a file server, LAMP server and mailhost. When I get the time away from studies I'm locking in the home automation gear.

So to the OP; here's the links I've bookmarked for reference to aide in setting it as a minimal install.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...repository

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38804 (This is Jaunty, but some info can be pulled out of this to help if you get stuck)
Hannes The Hun Wrote:yeah but that makes the whole idea of using the server edition obsolete Wink
I think a lot of people here use the server edition do to its minimal install, not due to having server hardware
Thanks for the conformation and links gryph. I am also running lucid server as a file server, web host and ftp. I am hoping to run xbcm to my PS3. I have a dated GPU (nvidia 1300?) and 1gb ddr 400mhz ram, dual core 2.1 amd64. Think that is enough to have a clean stream?
you intend to use XBMC as a UPnP/DLNA server for your PS3?
Not sure if it's in your price range, but this card would get you full hd content

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814150446

Then you have the advantage of not having to convert your videos to a format the ps3 can read (example: all my mkv encodes are worthless as far as the ps3 is concerned.)