Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is it possible to scroll smoothly with fanart?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Without fanart I can scroll up and down a list at blistering speed, with it on it stutters alot. Yes I'm on limited hardware, but I'm not complaining about that.

The fanart changes the instant a new item is selected yes? Is there a proper method to add a delay, thus the fanart won't continually try to change while scrolling or advancing in quick steps? i.e. it only loads when I stop moving. Or is it not possible at the minute to stop fanart loading affect the scrolling?

Thanks
I'm trying to figure this out as well.. I'm still learning how XBMC works too.

I'm not sure how the fanart loads... it it just directly pulls it from the internet each time but having it stored on the local hard drive wouldn't bother me. (does it do that already?)
Whenever you scrape your stuff the fanart gets saved into your userdata folder so it loads pretty quickly from there each time. I just want to know about delaying the loading into the gui so that it doesn't affect scrolling/stepping through a list smoothly.
Are you using:

<control type="largeimage">

or

<control type="image">

With background loading, <control type="largeimage">, the texture will load in the background and allowing smooth scrolling...

On my low end PC even in Confluence fanart doesn't show instantly but scrolling is fine...
I've tried 'largeimage' and 'image' with background loading set to true. Doesn't make a difference, the scrolling is still affected by the fanart rapidly trying to change. It's isn't unbearable or anything but I was just wondering if a delay can be added so that the fanart only loads when I settle on an item, thus scrolling won't be affected at all.
if you background load your fanart and your posters it should scroll smoothly the reason it doesn't is it needs to load the next poster before the animation starts
I'm not using posters at all just fanart. You say it should scroll smoothly, I'm not clear on how this is possible. If I scroll through 500 movies, the fanart keeps changing during scrolling which therefore has a detrimental effect on the smoothness. I take it there is no way to only make it change when I am static?
Does your code look something like this?

PHP Code:
<control type="largeimage">
    <
posx>0</posx>
    <
posy>0</posy>
    <
width>1280</width>
    <
height>720</height>
    <
fadetime>400</fadetime>
    <
texture background="true">$INFO[ListItem.Property(Fanart_Image)]</texture>
</
control

EDIT: Are you using it instead of posters and not as the background image?
Why not using multiimage Huh
Works great in MiniMeedia.

PHP Code:
                <control type="multiimage">
                    <
description>Fanart BG</description>
                    <
info>ListItem.Property(fanart_image)</info>
                    <
visible>!IsEmpty(ListItem.Property(fanart_image))</visible>
                    <include>
BackgroundImage</include>
                </
control>
                <
control type="multiimage">
                    <
description>Fanart BG</description>
                    <
info>Fanart.Image</info>
                    <
visible>!IsEmpty(Fanart.Image)</visible>
                    <include>
BackgroundImage</include>
                </
control
Multiimage is for when you're using a folder of images not a single one.
Sounds like you're worried about the possible slight (perhaps 1 frame if your GPU/CPU is taxed) slowdown when the texture gets transferred to GPU memory.

If you don't want something displayed while scrolling, use something like Container.IsScrolling or whatever it is.
Hitcher Wrote:Multiimage is for when you're using a folder of images not a single one.

Sorry your wrong !!!
Yeah Hitcher the code is basically identical to that. Here's a nasty picture of my skin (I don't know how to get screencaps from apple tv):

I'm using it as the background, it is the first bit of code in 'myvideonav.xml'.
waffa - I'll try your code, thanks
EDIT: I tried it and its ten times slower than before Sad

jmarshall - Yeah it's not that bad and still useable but I just wondered if the texture could be transferred like you said after the scrolling is over. Now that I know it's not possible I can move on. Thanks.
Waffa Wrote:Sorry your wrong !!!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MultiImage_Control

Quote:The MultiImage control is used for displaying a slideshow of images from a folder in XBMC
Pages: 1 2