Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using Browser without mouse and keyboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ;-)

In this days the final work for my persoal HTPC begins and one of the things I missed was Surfing the net with a browser ....

* Starting any browser (chrome or firefox) should not be a problem witch launcher plugin over xbmc

By now my problem begins :

* I would like to controll the browser only with a attached remote ...

I for one, would not have a problem to use a keyboard and a mouse

But my girl-friend ... (WAF)

Has someone a tip or solution ?

Regards
Hans
I would say that you should look for a remote that has a mouse function built in (like the ATI Wonder/X10 RF and or IR combo remotes) or get a Logitech diNovo Mini keyboard/mouse/remote.

I use the XBOX DVD Playback remote normally and I use the diNovo for surfing and love it!
I can use the diNovo full time but I think the original XBOX DVD remote is the best remote I have ever used. Smile
I had a similar problem with the mrs and bought many things to trial.

The Ipazz wins although is a keyboard/large touchpad its tiny a few mm thin. Plus it backlights lovely.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...6950wt_815

The Rii comes in second place. You can use it in both orientations so its almost a remote. However the touchpad is too small to be useful in my opinion.
Also you must use in US keymap or ALT key with not function (send CTRL-ALT) instead.
Does come with built in laser pointer to amuse cat or blind flies.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...K:MEWNX:IT

Third place. This is a true remote with a trackball and so easily could have been number one except you some major problems:
1: Layout. The person designing the layout is an idiot. Look at the picture see the arrow keys are centred around the trackball. The tiny key above the arrows is the ok key.
Ok so normal use in xbmc you are going to be using up/down ok alot. The trackball is raised as well. It means you fingers have to travel 1-1.5 inches as well as lift alot. I have big hands and 30mins of clicking around gave me cramp. Plus my Mrs has hands half my size. The mouse function is good however.
If they just stuck the arrow keys below the trackball with the ok in the middle it would have worked......
2: Is quite heavy and bulky for a remote but acceptable. Weight balance is off as most of weight is at back of remote. Again if they move arrow keys trackball weight and holding position shift would balance nicely.
3: despite being a rf keyboard remote PC bios's do not recognize (at least my revo did not) so can't navigate boot menu. Most likely based on the composite usb device keyboard/mouse combo.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Trackball...41506a6ae7

You may also want to consider a Wiimote in IR mode as mouse and buttons as remote.
I did not have nice results with that however. If you got a spare wiimote and bluetooth dongle try it.