Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SortTV: Sort TV episodes, movies, and music into directories for xbmc (Linux/Win/Mac)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Sorry for such a newbie question but how do I even start installing this? do I have to install linux? I have windows 7 right now it says I need pearl ...

Also i know this is an xbmc forum but would this work on boxee as well ?
jakebake Wrote:Sorry for such a newbie question but how do I even start installing this? do I have to install linux? I have windows 7 right now it says I need pearl ...

Also i know this is an xbmc forum but would this work on boxee as well ?

This will run on either Linux or Windows as long as you have Perl installed. Since it is just a script, you don't need to "install it" as much as you just save the file into a folder and run it, either manually or as a scheduled task using Perl.

It doesn't really matter what program you're using to view the media. XBMC or Boxee should just be looking at the folder the files are being sorted into and updating their libraries accordingly.

So... start by installing perl on your appropriate OS. You can get it here: http://www.perl.org/get.html

Good luck! Smile
davemex Wrote:This will run on either Linux or Windows as long as you have Perl installed. Since it is just a script, you don't need to "install it" as much as you just save the file into a folder and run it, either manually or as a scheduled task using Perl.

It doesn't really matter what program you're using to view the media. XBMC or Boxee should just be looking at the folder the files are being sorted into and updating their libraries accordingly.

So... start by installing perl on your appropriate OS. You can get it here: http://www.perl.org/get.html

Good luck! Smile

thank you! do I need to install perl to a certain spot in windows?
jakebake Wrote:thank you! do I need to install perl to a certain spot in windows?

Just somewhere you can remember where you put it!
davemex Wrote:Just somewhere you can remember where you put it!

ha alright and which version am I downloading? DO I need the 64bit version (I have 64bit windows 7)
jakebake Wrote:ha alright and which version am I downloading? DO I need the 64bit version (I have 64bit windows 7)

To the best of my knowledge that should be fine. I'd recommend using Google to do some basic searches on how to install and use Perl scripts though. It's pretty easy but it would probably be easier for you to look up than giving you a play-by-play here in the forum. You're also going to have to install the Perl modules required by this piece of software so make sure you know how to add those as well (read the sorttv docs to see which ones are required).
davemex Wrote:To the best of my knowledge that should be fine. I'd recommend using Google to do some basic searches on how to install and use Perl scripts though. It's pretty easy but it would probably be easier for you to look up than giving you a play-by-play here in the forum. You're also going to have to install the Perl modules required by this piece of software so make sure you know how to add those as well (read the sorttv docs to see which ones are required).

I read some things but still confused. I installed perl and sorttv. How does it actually start working
In a DOS terminal you type in "perl [direction to sorttv].pl" once you have filled in the appropriate details in the config file replacing the part in brackets with the location on your computer where you saved the script.

This web site seems to have some good tutorials on how to use perl scripts:
http://www.gossland.com/course/intro/running.html
davemex Wrote:In a DOS terminal you type in "perl [direction to sorttv].pl" once you have filled in the appropriate details in the config file replacing the part in brackets with the location on your computer where you saved the script.

This web site seems to have some good tutorials on how to use perl scripts:
http://www.gossland.com/course/intro/running.html

thanks Ill read through this and hopefully I'll get some where lol..but first things first how do I get to a dos window (DOH!)No
jakebake Wrote:thanks Ill read through this and hopefully I'll get some where lol..but first things first how do I get to a dos window (DOH!)No

Man, I don't want to come off like a dick, but you're going to have to use Google for these basic computer questions! A specific forum like this really isn't the place to ask people how to get to a command prompt... I mean, RTFM or even the Windows Help documents!
edit: nevermind figured it out!
ok i got it to run the perl -v code now I am having trouble getting the sorttv.pl ... I have sorttv save to C:\users\jake bacon\sorttv perl is just c:\strawberry
ok i got it to run by just dragging the sorttv.pl file into DOS...
I guess now I need to actually get a torrent program and also change the parts in the sorttv config where my files are? How do you have yours setup in your config file so I can just get an example?

I have it set like this in the config file:

directory-to-sort: C:\Users\Jake Bacon\Videos\TV
directory-to-sort-into: C:\Users\Jake Bacon\Videos\TV

then when I run the command it says
syntax error at C:\Users\Jake line 1
Execution of C:\Users\Jake aborted do to compilation errors
delete
Ok heres my update...
Got it to say
Warn: Non-episode directory does not exist
Warn: Could not open log file

18:17:32, 8-1-2011
Sorting C:/Users/Jake Bacon/Videos/TV into C:/Users/Jake Bacon/Videos/TV2

but it actually didn't do anything. Any help?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49