Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YAASDXMLP (Yet another advancedsetting.xml problem)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Searched everywhere, couldn't find a solution. XMBC just doesn't want to play an external player. I've tried using my xml file, which contains:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
  <filename>"C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe"</filename>
  <args>-fs</args>
  <forceontop>false</forceontop>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
  <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

I've placed it in the %application data%userdata% file

What did I miss?
Also, I tried it without the "" around the mpc path.
jacobRadio Wrote:Searched everywhere, couldn't find a solution. XBMC just doesn't want to play an external player. I've tried using my xml file, which contains:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
  <filename>"C:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema\mpc-hc.exe"</filename>
  <args>-fs</args>
  <forceontop>false</forceontop>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  <hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

I've placed it in the %application data%userdata% file

What did I miss?
Dependant on the build you are using, the method changed to using a playercorefactory.xml file - see the wiki for details - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_playback
This is the playercorefactory.xml I use to "play" pdfs and comics. It should be easily adaptable for your use.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="Acrobat" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
    <player name="Comical" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Comical\Comical.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="pdf" filetypes="pdf" player="Acrobat" />
    <rule name="cbr" filetypes="cbr" player="Comical" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

JR
playercorefactory.xml can be used to launch rom trough an emulator?
shassino Wrote:playercorefactory.xml can be used to launch rom trough an emulator?

Yes. You can configure an external player for anything. You could even use it to launch Excel to "play" .xls files if you wanted. However, note that the external play only works for files classified as Video or Music.

You probably need to add the extensions to the Video or Music extensions in userdata\advancedsettings.xml. You can do this using (e.g. for my example of PDFs and comics):

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <videoextensions>
    <add>.pdf|.cbr</add>
  </videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

JR
wow, this mean that in Linux/OsX (don't know for windows) we can launch everything using bash as external player and a script file Smile nice to know no more need of a launcher addon.

The best will be if menu entry will be customizable. Smile
shassino Wrote:wow, this mean that in Linux/OsX (don't know for windows) we can launch everything using bash as external player and a script file Smile nice to know no more need of a launcher addon.

The best will be if menu entry will be customizable. Smile

Yes, but:

a) in playercorefactory.xml you need a rule that associates your custom player with the target file. In Windows the easy solution is to use the extension, but unix tends not to use extensions in the same way as Windows. Unless you follow some suitable convention for your shell script names you'll have a job configuring the external player.

b) if you just want to run a script then you can achieve the same using a simple Python script from the Script/Programs section, though admittedly you can't supply any arguments to the script when you run it.

JR