Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDADecoder won't play Trailers and .h264 .mvk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just started playing around with the new MacMini (HDMI) and notice that only .h264 .m4v files I've encoded will play with VDA enabled. None of my .h264 .mvk files will play the video...but the audio works fins. The audio will start playing but the screen will stay at a fully functional library view. I thought this might be my encodes being incompatible, but the same happens when I try to play trailers as well,

http://pastebin.ca/1891528

The log follows the following sequence:

Turn on VDA
Play Trailer (Fail)
Play .mvk (Fail)
Turn off VDA
Play Trailer
Play .mvk

Let me know if I need to provide more...
D-tyme Wrote:I just started playing around with the new MacMini (HDMI) and notice that only .h264 .m4v files I've encoded will play with VDA enabled. None of my .h264 .mvk files will play the video...but the audio works fins. The audio will start playing but the screen will stay at a fully functional library view. I thought this might be my encodes being incompatible, but the same happens when I try to play trailers as well,

http://pastebin.ca/1891481

The log follows the following sequence:

Turn on VDA
Play Trailer (Fail)
Play .mvk (Fail)
Turn off VDA
Play Trailer
Play .mvk

Let me know if I need to provide more...

MediaInfo dumps of the ones that don't play.

Humm, "ERROR: VDADecoderCallback - imageBuffer format is not '2vuy'" never saw that before. "10.4.1 i386" that's 10.6.4 right. I wonder if they changed something with VDADecoder.

"DEBUG: CCoreAudioDevice::GetTotalOutputChannels: Found 8 channels in 1 buffers" Interesting, that's 7.1 for 'HDMI', Total Ouput Channels: 8.
Yes, the Mini is running 10.6.4

BluRay rip:

Quote:*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-06-28 20:30:36 -0500
Information for File: Avatar.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> AVC
Audio Codecs Used -> DTS
File Format -> Matroska
Play Time -> 2h 41mn
Total File Size -> 5.60 GiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 4 955 Kbps
Encoded with -> HandBrake svn3320
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 1 024 pixels
Frame Height -> 576 pixels
Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
Total Frames -> 232607
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16:9
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 6 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.237
Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
Video Stream Length -> 2h 41mn 41s 660ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 3 346 Kbps
Bit Depth -> 8 bits
Video Stream Size -> 3.78 GiB (68%)
Video Encoder -> x264 - core 95
Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> DTS
Codec (FourCC) -> A_DTS
Audio Stream Length -> 2h 41mn 41s 651ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 1 510 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Bit Depth -> 24 bits
Audio Stream Size -> 1.71 GiB (30%)

DVD Rip:

Quote:*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-06-28 20:31:16 -0500
Information for File: HURT_LOCKER.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
Video Codecs Used -> AVC
Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
File Format -> Matroska
Play Time -> 2h 10mn
Total File Size -> 1.98 GiB
Total Stream BitRate -> 2 168 Kbps
Encoded with -> HandBrake svn3320
Video Stream # 1
Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Codec Profile -> [email protected]
Frame Width -> 720 pixels
Frame Height -> 480 pixels
Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
Total Frames -> 187996
Display Aspect Ratio -> 16:9
Video Standard -> NTSC
Scan Type -> Progressive
Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 6 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.202
Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
Video Stream Length -> 2h 10mn 41s 8ms
Video Stream BitRate -> 1 677 Kbps
Bit Depth -> 8 bits
Video Stream Size -> 1.53 GiB (77%)
Video Encoder -> x264 - core 95
Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Audio Stream # 1
Codec -> AC-3
Codec (FourCC) -> A_AC3
Audio Stream Length -> 2h 10mn 41s 25ms
Audio Stream BitRate -> 448 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
Number of Audio Channels -> 6
Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
Audio Stream Size -> 419 MiB (21%)
Audio Stream Language -> English
D-tyme Wrote:Yes, the Mini is running 10.6.4

[email protected] CABAC with 6 ref frames.

I would like to see what http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/31486 reports as the buffer format.
davilla Wrote:[email protected] CABAC with 6 ref frames.

I would like to see what http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/31486 reports as the buffer format.

I don't have a build environment setup for XBMC. I'll pull from 'nightlies' when available and test.
Hi,

I found this thread searching for the error I was getting on my new Mac Mini:

ERROR: VDADecoderCallback - imageBuffer format is not '2vuy'

I've also been hoping the past week or so that a new nightly build would fix the problem but it seems I should have reported it earlier.

I don't currently have the time or opportunity to give more info, but I'll try to do so over the next day or two. I would like to add however that it does not seem to matter what the container format is as I have some .mov Apple trailers that play correctly and others that do not. I also have some MKV's that play correctly and others that do not. Also the "killa" 1080p sample (the one with the birds from the Planet Earth documentary) play using FFmpeg rather than with acceleration.

This is all from memory but I'll try to provide logs as soon as I can.

Regards,
Michal
michal Wrote:Hi,

I found this thread searching for the error I was getting on my new Mac Mini:

ERROR: VDADecoderCallback - imageBuffer format is not '2vuy'

I've also been hoping the past week or so that a new nightly build would fix the problem but it seems I should have reported it earlier.

I don't currently have the time or opportunity to give more info, but I'll try to do so over the next day or two. I would like to add however that it does not seem to matter what the container format is as I have some .mov Apple trailers that play correctly and others that do not. I also have some MKV's that play correctly and others that do not. Also the "killa" 1080p sample (the one with the birds from the Planet Earth documentary) play using FFmpeg rather than with acceleration.

This is all from memory but I'll try to provide logs as soon as I can.

Regards,
Michal

"Also the "killa" 1080p sample (the one with the birds from the Planet Earth documentary) play using FFmpeg rather than with acceleration." Yes, that's right. VDADecoder will not play that clip. killa has 16 ref frames which violates h.264 spec for the level/profile/bitrate it was encoded with. HW decoders are picky about decoding h.264 video content that adheres to h.264 spec.
Thanks for the reply.

This surprises me because using Linux XBMC on my previous HTPC, the VDPAU renderer is able to play that clip back flawlessly and with low CPU usage. This is despite the significantly weaker Nvidia video card (it's not the one in my sig as that is sitting unused until I have the time to get HDMI audio working).

Is this a limitation of the API that Apple has provided in Mac OS X? If so, might I get better results from installing Linux on the Mac Mini?

I've been meaning to try this, but haven't been able to find any good instructions for installing Ubuntu 10.04 on the new Mac Mini.

Regards,
Michal
michal Wrote:Thanks for the reply.

This surprises me because using Linux XBMC on my previous HTPC, the VDPAU renderer is able to play that clip back flawlessly and with low CPU usage. This is despite the significantly weaker Nvidia video card (it's not the one in my sig as that is sitting unused until I have the time to get HDMI audio working).

Is this a limitation of the API that Apple has provided in Mac OS X? If so, might I get better results from installing Linux on the Mac Mini?

I've been meaning to try this, but haven't been able to find any good instructions for installing Ubuntu 10.04 on the new Mac Mini.

Regards,
Michal

VDPAU != VDADecoder

VDADecoder seems to handle in-spec h.264 quite fine.
VDPAU eats any h.264 you toss at it.

It would be better if people encoding h.264 would not set random encoder settings and follow the frak'en spec. This will become more important as phone/pads/tablets become prevalent. They all use hw decoders which expect in-spec h.264.
davilla Wrote:It would be better if people encoding h.264 would not set random encoder settings and follow the frak'en spec. This will become more important as phone/pads/tablets become prevalent. They all use hw decoders which expect in-spec h.264.

I understand the point you are making, but I just haven't seen the need to do encode against a hard spec vs. function. I've done PLENTY of custom encodes based on function of argument (i.e. trellis, cabac, ref, etc.) that still seem to take advantage of Quicktime /w GPU and/or squeezes every ounce out of specific hardware (e.g. iPod/iPhone, AppleTV, etc.)...even to the point of "pioneering" CABAC on the ATV.

Having said that, is there an up to date spec sheet that calls out Levels and min/max settings allowed?
D-tyme Wrote:I understand the point you are making, but I just haven't seen the need to do encode against a hard spec vs. function. I've done PLENTY of custom encodes based on function of argument (i.e. trellis, cabac, ref, etc.) that still seem to take advantage of Quicktime /w GPU and/or squeezes every ounce out of specific hardware (e.g. iPod/iPhone, AppleTV, etc.)...even to the point of "pioneering" CABAC on the ATV.

Having said that, is there an up to date spec sheet that calls out Levels and min/max settings allowed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC is a start.
D-tyme Wrote:Updated Logs:

http://pastebin.ca/1892167

LOL, 0x42475241 is BGRA. Apple changed the default output format in 10.6.4 for some but not all video decoding.
Pages: 1 2