Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I store thumbs and meta data with movie/show locally?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
first I just want to say I love XBMC and it's simplicity. Good job to everyone involved in any way.

I have a server with media files and a fast Internet connection (100/100Mbit) and have installed XBMC with my server as source at about 10 friends computers and at my HTPC running XBMC Live. I install the MediaStream skin everywhere if that is relevant.

The problem, or more just a annoyance, is that fetching meta data from IMDB and thetvdb when first indexing my server will take between one and four hours. I don't know if this is because of a requests/sec restriction in XBMC, the bandwidth needed for transferring data or throttled by IMDB/thetvdb or something else. I want to know if there is a way for me to store this data with the video files so that the indexing will go faster and I don't have to use resources at thetvdb?
IMDb is way slower than themoviedb for a start.

You can store this data next to the video files (export your data to separate files) but I don't personally recommend it, as now the data is there forever. It's better IMO to export your library to a "single file" which exports to a single .xml file as well as exporting all your thumbs etc.

Place that somewhere on your server and import to the other boxes.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Fast reply, thanks.

Your post gave me new keywords to search for so I found more helpful information on the forum. I knew about the single file export, but didn't see that as the best solution as it won't boost the speed of indexing new data, which at times can be substantial. I have previously tried the separate export but since I share using Apache and HTTP XBMC doesn't have write access to the media so of course no data was stored. Rofl

So I'm going to test mounting some content using SSHFS (too lazy for NFS) with write access and see if the result is desirable.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I just checked and themoviedb is used as movie scraper, not IMDB.