Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help a Linuxnewbie with networking (wireless AND wired)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone.

I just bought a Acer Revo R3610 and yesterday i installed XBMC Live. I have a networking problem though.

My setup is like this:

My computer contains the media i want to stream. That computer and the Acer Revo are connected through a switch. Just computer to Acer Revo, no internet access on the wire/router.

I then have a wireless router on another floor of my house that i want to get internet access from.

I have managed to change etc/network/interfaces to use static ip and i am now able to stream content from my computer to my Acer Revo over the wired connection. 1080p streaming worked like a charm Smile

BUT, without being able to get internet access through the Revo'a wireless connection i wont be able to use the library-mode with information from eg. imdb.com and the like.

Setting this up in Windows is a breeze, but streaming 1080p did not work without alot of stuttering in Windows.

Can anyone here help a Linux-newbie like me get my wireless connection up and running along side the wired connection in XBMC for Linux?
Does no one know how to do this? Is it not possible in Linux to access two networks at ones with two different nics (wireless and wired)?
Do you have wifi working at all? If not start with that, there are a 1000 threads on this topic.

Regarding both wired and wifi at the same time...one would guess that it should work out of box in a modern OS. However, I actually had the problem when I tested ubuntu on my laptop. I never investigated if it was a real issue of just a ghost. However, if you have google on your computer it will tell you in sec.
what kind of setup are you using .. full blown ubuntu ? XBMCLive ? minimal ubuntu + XBMC ?

i know how to do this specific setup using a full blown ubuntu as i did it last night .. but i've never been able to get my wlan working on the others, but then again i haven't tried very hard
By the sounds of it, you are attempting to setup the XBMC box to use both wired (static IP) to the computer for streaming, and Wireless to your router (for internet access).

Am I right in assuming that the Windows computer you are streaming from is connected wirelessly to the router and hence internet, as well as having a static address assigned for the port connecting to the switch?

Presumably It is not currently acting as a bridge, therefore No internet access will be available to ANY devices connected to that switch.

You are, if you don't mind me saying, making things rather difficult for yourself.

You really should consider connecting the switch between your computer and XBMC box directly (using a CAT5) cable to a spare port on your router.
That would then give wired internet access to both machines, and negate the need for wireless.

Yes I know you have said the router is on a different floor, but the work would be worth it, in the long run.

Pete
g0pkh Wrote:By the sounds of it, you are attempting to setup the XBMC box to use both wired (static IP) to the computer for streaming, and Wireless to your router (for internet access).

Am I right in assuming that the Windows computer you are streaming from is connected wirelessly to the router and hence internet, as well as having a static address assigned for the port connecting to the switch?

Presumably It is not currently acting as a bridge, therefore No internet access will be available to ANY devices connected to that switch.

You are, if you don't mind me saying, making things rather difficult for yourself.

You really should consider connecting the switch between your computer and XBMC box directly (using a CAT5) cable to a spare port on your router.
That would then give wired internet access to both machines, and negate the need for wireless.

Yes I know you have said the router is on a different floor, but the work would be worth it, in the long run.

Pete

i have a similar situation as my NAS/laptop(xbmc)+tv are in one room while the cable modem/desktop/router are in a seperate room without any easy way to link up .. so yes i agree the benefits of linking switch and router are huge .. however sometimes they are just feasible