Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Finishing up Build, Last Couple Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I am just finishing up my build and I have just a couple minor issues. Thank you in advance:

1. I let XBMC do the scrapping for my movies and it did an excellent job. It successfully grabbed 712 out of 752. I know this is due to me improperly naming some of the movies titles. Is there any quick way to figure out which 40 movies are missing? All movies are in 2 big folders (A-L and M-Z) and are just the mp4 file.

2. I am using the launcher plugin to launch game emulators. I have done some searching on the forum and still haven’t found the exact answer to my problem. I have it all set up correctly including the games (for example I’m using ZNES) but when I launch the game it simply just launches the emulator with a blank screen and I have to search within the emulator for the ROM. Does this have anything to do with the arguments? I was not sure what to fill out for that part.

3. I am using the Aeon skin. My question is there a setting to display the movie synopsis while viewing the library, much like in the default XBMC theme?

4. The last question deals with hardware. I currently have an AMD 3.0ghz dual-core with 3 GB of RAM and a HD 4650 video card. I have noticed that XBMC can be a little sluggish at times. How much would upgrading the GPU help? (Im displaying @ 1080p on a 42") And any card suggestions if so?

-Thanks!
heric1 Wrote:4. The last question deals with hardware. I currently have an AMD 3.0ghz dual-core with 3 GB of RAM and a HD 4650 video card. I have noticed that XBMC can be a little sluggish at times. How much would upgrading the GPU help? (Im displaying @ 1080p on a 42") And any card suggestions if so?

What operating system and which build of XBMC?

On Windows you need a recent development build (and Windows 7) to get hardware acceleration for video as v9.11 does not support it. With XBMC Live and XBMC on unix I don't think hardware acceleration is supported at all for ATI cards.

The safe option is an NVidia card as they're cheap and acceleration is supported on unix and Windows 7 (not Windows XP). I use a 9400GT, which works just fine and only cost £32.

If you turn on debug logging XBMC will show you how much CPU is being used. If this is vey high then the video playback is probably CPU limited and would benefit from hardware acceleration.

JR
Quote:2. I am using the launcher plugin to launch game emulators. I have done some searching on the forum and still haven’t found the exact answer to my problem. I have it all set up correctly including the games (for example I’m using ZNES) but when I launch the game it simply just launches the emulator with a blank screen and I have to search within the emulator for the ROM. Does this have anything to do with the arguments? I was not sure what to fill out for that part

Leave arguments blank, but make sure you are putting in the right extension for youre roms and the correct path location of the roms.
Im running Windows 7 Ultimate N and verison 9.11. So I am assuming I need a newer verison and to go nvidia not ATI. Do you think this is worth it? I will check CPU usage later because I am at work right now

Also the one I am truly concerned with is number 1. it would be great if I didnt have to go through the whole collection to rid out those 40 movies
heric1 Wrote:Im running Windows 7 Ultimate N and verison 9.11. So I am assuming I need a newer verison and to go nvidia not ATI. Do you think this is worth it? I will check CPU usage later because I am at work right now

Also the one I am truly concerned with is number 1. it would be great if I didnt have to go through the whole collection to rid out those 40 movies

Download the most recent build from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/. You should note that these are development builds and may contain bugs, but generally they're perfectly usable and any bugs are minor. Since you're using Win7 I'm fairly certain that your ATI card will support hardware acceleration, though I think you need to enable it in Settings, Video, Playback.

NB I believe the latest builds will update your library, so before you install a recent build export your library or backup %appdata\xbmc otherwise you will have to rebuild the library if you want to go back to 9.11.

Re your question 1: I think that if you turn on debug logging (Settings,System,Debugging) and refresh the library XBMC will list anything it can't scrape in %appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log. I actually don't use the library so I'm afraid I can't be more specific.

JR
heric1 Wrote:Im running Windows 7 Ultimate N and verison 9.11. So I am assuming I need a newer verison and to go nvidia not ATI. Do you think this is worth it? I will check CPU usage later because I am at work right now

For managing a larger collection I'd really recommend using a third party manager, I think anything over 100 from my personal experience becomes a nightmare using only xbmc.

My movie collection is currently 2500+ and no way I could manage it in XBMC alone, my personal favs given the size of my library are embermm for movies and media companion gen2 for tv shows. They're certainly not the only options but all of them making browsing and correcting errors much simpler.
Thank you so much for recommending Ember Media Manager, made my life so much easier.

However I am still running into a few issues with Aeon. Does anyone know how to display the movie data while browsing your collection? Like how the default XBMC skin shows the movie synopsis?

Also in Ember Media Manager I am still getting a question mark for movie runtime but in the data it has it?

Thanks once again!
Im sorry for the double post but I answered my own problem dealing with Aeon. I just simply press C for context menu, kind of silly of me.

Anyway, anyone have any idea about the runtime issue with Ember?