Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] advancedsettings.xml apparently not working.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let me start by saying I did some searches before registering/posting and this does not appear to be one of the common mistakes.

Windows 7:

--I'm putting it in ...\Roaming\XBMC\userdata. I'm reasonably sure it's in the right location because other config files there have obviously-modified timestamps, but I've tried it in various other locations anyway.

--it is definitely named .xml and not .xml.txt.

--I haven't done anything else weird like use a rich text editor.

I've tried the following two settings:

<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>

(Attempting to get the codes to display on screen when setting up a Harmony remote programmed to send XBOX codes. Ended up having to go the MCE Keyboard route for now.)

<timeseekbackward>-7</timeseekbackward>

(Attempting to change from -30 for a shorter skip back.)

I am opening with <advancedsettings> and closing with </advancedsettings> . I am usually copying and pasting from the wiki to avoid typos. I am observing case-sensitivity.

So in other words, my current advancedsettings.xml is as follows:

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

...and I'm still getting a 30-second backwards seek.

Thoughts? Sorry if I've still managed to overlook something obvious, and thanks.
First and foremost do a Debug Log. That'll tell you if your advancedsettings.xml file is being read.

After that we'll figure out the problem - I suspect you need some other tags around your <timeseekbackward> ones (eg <video> or some such) - see the wiki.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks!

I assume this is what we're looking for, from xbmc.log? If not let me know.

Quote:23:19:22 T:3404 M:973713408 NOTICE: Loaded advancedsettings.xml from special://profile/advancedsettings.xml
23:19:22 T:3404 M:973705216 NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

I assume there isn't a second function that I might have mapped my remote to that isn't this one but that also does -30 seconds? It's definitely doing 30 still. (Had also considered the possibility that the displayremotecodes only worked with an actual XBOX or something.)

(Also re reading the wiki page--not a coder, sadly.)
Got it, <video> needed to be nested after <advancedsettings>.

Still not sure why displayremotecodes didn't work--it doesn't seem to be in a bigger category like the time seek is. I'm pretty sure I've read how-tos saying it should work with the Windows/MCE-IR/Harmony/XBOX device combo? It's not a big deal as I've gotten most of what I want working, but would be nice for future ref.

Anyway, thanks again.
displayremotecodes is xbox only. xbmc will log key presses in xbmc.log if debug logging is enabled.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for info on getting your remote control to work.

JR
vdrfan Wrote:displayremotecodes is xbox only. xbmc will log key presses in xbmc.log if debug logging is enabled.

Thanks.

I went back through my notes and this is what had me thinking it would work (onscreen) with a Windows install:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/xbmc?page=0,4
I just got bit from cut and paste:
[url="http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml"]

The last element in the VIDEO section has an error in the closing:
<ppffmpegpostprocessing>ha:128:7,va,dr</ppfmpegpostprocessing> <!-- blah blah-->

The closing tag is /ppfm...
It should be /ppff...