Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKV - MPC HC, Other files - default player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
I couldn't use DSPlayer properly, so I would like to make following:

Open mkv files with external player MPC Home Cinema (automatically without right clicking and choosing 'play with'),
another files with the default player.

How is it possible?
For goodness sake - the site has a search function - please use it and the wiki functions that's what there for - numerous threads on external players - similarily there's a wiki article as well.
I know all of that.
If it is not difficult for you, please give links.
Are you for realHuh? - if you "know all that", then do it yourself and search. If you ain't prepared to help yourself I'm sorry you're getting no assistance from me.

EDIT - here's one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43129
In fairness, setting up an external viewer is non-trivial unless you're a hardened computer nerd (like me :-) so i have some sympathy for ale321's request.

ale321: this is how I do it.

First you need to locate your userdata folder. If you click Start then Run (I think Win7 hides the Run command somewhere else on the Start menu), type:

%appdata%\xbmc\userdata

and click OK this should open your userdata folder. Now create a new file called playercorefactory.xml, then open it in Notepad and copy and paste the following into it:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPCHC" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="mkv" filetypes="mkv" player="MPCHC" />
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

NB in the <filename> section I've put "C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mplayerc.exe" but it's possible the executable name might be different on your installation. If in doubt right click on the MPC-HC link in the Start menu and choose Properties, and that should show you the filename. Now start XBMC and you should find any file with the suffix .mkv will be played using MPC-HC.

There are more details in http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_use_a...a_playback

JR
What is this "Good Cop, Bad Cop", I never at any time suggested that it was trivial or otherwise, merely that the search engine would have provided the exact same information you have, but no attempt was even made to access or find that information.
steelman1991 Wrote:What is this "Good Cop, Bad Cop"

:-)

The forum search is less helpful than it could be. Even I sometimes struggle to find stuff that I know is there, and for new users who aren't even sure what to search for it can be a frustrating experience. I found the Wiki article fairly easily, but the Wiki articles tend to be a little too technical for non-nerds, and of course many people aren't even aware that the Wiki exists.

Actually, if I want to search the forums it's often better to use Google. I find Google indexes the forums better than the forum engine does!

JR
Sorry Good Cop Big Grin - on this occasion we're going to have to agree to disagree - the OP knew exactly what he was looking for 'External Player' - stick that in search and you'll get a whole manner of relevant threads, possibly better at some searches than others I'll give you that. One thing I will agree is that most users aren't aware of the Wiki, though i feel at times that purely as a result of laziness.
jhsrennie, thank you very much for your understanding.
I've done everything successfully.
In addition to your words ("for new users who aren't even sure what to search for it can be a frustrating experience") I would like to say - especially for users whose native language is Russian.
Пожалуйста :-)

jr