Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: audio problems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
first HI im new to the forums and to XBMC. I love the overall look and feel of XBMC but i am having a problem with audio.

I am using windows 7 on a PC that has 7.1 audio trough analog and also has TOSLINK output.

I have a 5.1 audio receiver with both options to use toslink or multichannel inputs.

i will explain a littlebit of how I had my setup before XBMC because i think it will help you help me because i dont know much about codecs,formats ect...
So I playd all my movies on a samsung bluray player that would wirelessly connect to my main computer wich had all my media stored in it. I have movies that will play with DTS and some other dont. but for the movies that do not play in DTS, instead of using the TOSLINK I would use the analog multichannel input and the sound was 5.1 surround beutifull. the only setting I changed was my receiver from TOSLINK to multichannel.

Now I have XBMC and I am trying to do the same but it is not working. again the movies that do play in DTS sound perfect but the otherones i am having problem. first when in analog multichannel the center speaker sound was coming from the left surround speaker so I had to switch the connections behind the PC so that the center speaker will play the correct sound. the problem with this is that now in windows sound configuration it is messed up. now the center will play the left surround and the right surround will play the subwoofer. and to be honest I would not mind how windows sounds aslong as XBMC will play my movies with perfect sound. but its not. Even when the sound is now showing from the correct speaker the surround sound is not working correctly I have to increase the volume on the receiver almost to MAX and the subwoofer is not doing much, i am missing sounds.

is there a solution. I know my explanation might be a mess so ask me if you have question and i will reply
I have installed VLC media player and in it the audio plays perfect using multichannel. with all the jacks connected how they are supposed to.

so is there some settings outside in the XBMC directory for this because in the audio output settings inside XBMC theres nothing that make it sound correct.
For those files which don't play - what type of audio is included in the file (ie Dolby Digitial, mp3, OggVorbis?). What make/model is your AV receiver and lastly at the moment which xbmc build are you using?
the files that dont sound right are encoded with AAC 6 channels. some in mp4 and some in mkv. this movies play with the sound mapped to the wrong speaker but only in XBMC. in VLC or WMP they play correctly. i have the XBMC 9.11 with the showmix 2.5 skin.

I have searched for a solution and found others with the same problem but could not find the solution.
in one of the threads i read the person ended up converting all his AAC 6 channel encoded movies to AC3. I wouldnt mind doing this if I knew how to. I have downloaded OJOsoft audio converter and i am testing as of right now. i just converted one but the result is only audio and the video is gone. but the audio plays in dolby digital 3/2.1 so i just need to find a program that will convert the files and not loose the video.
Version 9.11 doesn't play multichan AAC correctly, but the upcoming version will.
If you're impatient, the unstable dev versions have support for AAC and transcode on-the-fly to AC3 if your receiver doesn't decode AAC.
thank you Crystalp thats is great news I will grab that new version assoon as released.

Quote:the unstable dev versions have support for AAC and transcode on-the-fly to AC3

just curious where to get this versions? is the xbmc-r31676 the version you mentioned?
avioni Wrote:just curious where to get this versions? is the xbmc-r31676 the version you mentioned?

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/

Enjoy!