Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX]Ubuntu 10.04 no audio in XBMC, Zotac Ionitx-G-e Mobo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so I've been racking my brain these last few days trying to get the HDMI audio working.

my bios needs updating but I am unable to do it. I have read just about every guide out there and tried using unetbootin with freedos and it just tells me to insert a bootable floopy disk when I try and use the USB.

well I was able to turn on some thing in the bios and I now have HDMI audio in Ubuntu 10.04.

I was getting beeps when scrolling through the menus but some how lost that in XBMC. I have updated my Nvidia to the latest drivers, I have updated my alsa driver to the latest drivers

I have my settings in audio set to digital audio, default hdmi output, HDMI passthrough, DTS to receiver , dolby digital ac3

aplay -l gives me this result
Code:
jason@HTPC:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

and here is a tid bit from my XBMC.LOG file while running Debugging
http://pastebin.com/5yfP97ck

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:my bios needs updating but I am unable to do it. I have read just about every guide out there and tried using unetbootin with freedos and it just tells me to insert a bootable floopy disk when I try and use the USB.

Try setting USB emulation in the bios from Auto to Hard Drive, see if it works
chanders Wrote:Try setting USB emulation in the bios from Auto to Hard Drive, see if it works

I have tried

Auto, Floppy, FDD,

I have not tried Hard drive I guess I can give it a go and see what happens

I will have to mess with it on Saturday as I get off work at 4pm and start my second job at 4:30pm

-=Jason=-
I am still not able to flash my bios, but I have got Audio working out of my XBMC I had to uncheck the DTS Audio receiver button, even though my receiver does do DTS and Dolby True HD..

now only if I could flash the bios.....I am going to format and install files on a windows laptop then see if the bios likes that sdcard *crosses fingers*

-=Jason=-
Lock it up....

so I took my usb driver to my win7 laptop and preformed a full format on it, then I fired up unetbootin and loaded Freedos on it, I then added AFUDOS and the bios and plugged it and BAM... it booted from the USB disk.

I am not sure why it wasn't working doing it 100% from Ubuntu, but I am glad I have HDMI audio and a updated BIOS.

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:I am still not able to flash my bios, but I have got Audio working out of my XBMC I had to uncheck the DTS Audio receiver button, even though my receiver does do DTS and Dolby True HD..

now only if I could flash the bios.....I am going to format and install files on a windows laptop then see if the bios likes that sdcard *crosses fingers*

-=Jason=-

ROFL quoting myself

I have successfully have everything working 100%

I have DTS up and running and 1080P

what I did for DTS was use a custom device and changed it to alsa:plughw:0,3

I then had the downmix 2 channel unchecked and was getting an error for audio, I could go into the movies audio setting and change to analog and get sound.Then change back to digital and get my DTS this was annoying having to do this, but hey at least I had DTS audio.

well I did some searching and found this thread here:>>>>http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ugh+device
where alanww1 said to turn on the 2 channel down-mix..

well I turned mine on and got DTS right off the start of the MOVIE... XBMC FTMFW!

who needs blu ray disks now when you have 1080P and DTS....

-=Jason=-
some how in all the tweaking I was doing I lost my menu sounds, when the computer boots up and when navigating the menus in XBMC but I have perfect audio for movies.

-=Jason=-
Jason,

I had to edit:
/etc/asound.conf

and add in the following info to get the menu sounds working.

Code:
pcm.!default {

type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hdmi"
   }

}
shoot mine looks way different

Code:
# This file is referred to by /usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf to set pulseaudio as
# the default output plugin for applications using alsa when PulseAudio is
# running.

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    hint {
        show {
            @func refer
            name defaults.namehint.basic
        }
        description "Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server"
    }
}

ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
}

EDIT: I change mine to the simple verion, rebooted and still have no sound on initial boot up and no menu sound in XBMC, HD audio is working however.

I think it has something to do with pulse or alsa

-=Jason=-
hrm... I think I need to remove pulse from my system all together

-=Jason=-
I'm struggling with the same problem, IONITX-G-E Motherboard, HDMI Out using the latest XBMC Live 10.0 (and all the Dharma releases from Beta1 with the same problem).

Alsa looks good immediately after installation:

kima@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 0/1

kima@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=NVidia
HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output

speaker-test shows that something is playing, but no sound through the speakers. aplay a wav file, shows that its playing, no sound.

The Amp itself works 100%, as I have an XBOX360, WII, PS2 and Satellite Decoder all connected working perfectly (with DTS/DD).

The only way I've ever gotten the sound to work was with pulseaudio alsa hooks on Fedora Core 13 x32. In stereo. not Ideal.

As a desperate last ditch effort, I cashed in some Loyalty points from my Banks rewards programme and ordered an ASUS Xonar D2X and TOSLink cable to be able to get sound working with XBMC Live.

I'd love to get the damn sound working over HDMI and keep the sound card for my Gaming PC rather though Sad

Any suggestions ?