Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Video card change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
I have installed some time ago the xmbc live 9.11 on my pc (Core 2 duo, 4gb ram, radeon hd 3450).
I then discovered that the video card was not supported and had to turn to software rendering (thanks to the suggestions of this great forum Smile.
I noticed, after some tests, that XBMC on windows plays videos more smoothly than on the Live version, and I think it's because under windows I have the drivers for the video card and under the Live version I haven't them.

I now decided to buy a nvidia video card (geforce 210) because it supports the vdpau rendering.
Since I'm not experienced with linux, if I change the video card, do I have to do something with the Live installation to make it work?
Or have I to format and reinstall?
In the second case, can I save the settings and restore them after the reinstall? (I mean, the sources, the 'V' check near any film I already watched, and so on)

Thanks for any help, and sorry if my questions looks very basic for linux users Blush
Hi guys,
I finally bought the new geforce 210 video card, and it works much better than the old radeon under win7.

The problem is that now the xbmc live doesn't boot anymore No
Well, to be more clear ubuntu boots correctly, but xbmc doesn't start anymore.
It is not a problem since I can erase the partition and reinstall it from scratch, but I would like to save the config files to save the sources.xml and the file(s) where the already watched films are stored, I mean that I want to keep the 'V' check mark near every video I already watched.

But:
1) I don't know where the files are located in linux
2) I don't know which files to save and restore in the new installation
3) Is there a simple way to 'export' the settings and import to the new installation? (I mean without playing with the xbmc conf files)

It sounds very basic for me, but I really don't know how to do it Blush

Thanks in advance for any help
make a backup of \home\<your user>\.xbmc

You could also try to manually install the nvidia drivers for the new card and see if thats enough for it to work again.
This is enough to setup nvidia for my card (not the same as yours)

Quote:-------------------------
initial setup
---------------------------
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic

-----------------------------------------
Install Nvidia
------------------------------------------

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic nvidia-glx-195

sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate
Many many thanks vikjon0!

It took 20 minutes to update, and at least it worked fine Nod

The only strange thing is that with this new card, I have a problem with the video projector...
It is connected to the dvi port with a dvi-dsub adapter and the only resolution I can choose from is 640x480, but the projector is HDReady, 1280x720...
The monitor (which is connected to the standard vga/dsub port) works correctly.
I'll do some tests in the next days (switching monitor and projector), and post here the results.

Thanks again! Wink
Quote:It is connected to the dvi port with a dvi-dsub adapter and the only resolution I can choose from is 640x480, but the projector is HDReady, 1280x720...

I am not good with this since my tv work fine with linux but it is possible that the projector does not speak correctly with the card and that you need to manually need to set up edid(?) in xorg.

First I would test with the projector without the vga connected to the box....and also if possible with hdmi.