Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Apple Remote support on PC architecture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had an interesting chat with the people at #xbmc-linux at the IRC about how could I make my Apple Remote (A1156 product code) work with my EB1501 with an HP RC6 receiver.

The first stage of this work is easily done just by using a proper Lircmap.xml at ~/.xbmc/userdata, such as:

Quote:<lircmap>
<remote device="Apple_A1156">
<left>BACKWARD</left>
<right>FORWARD</right>
<up>VOLUP</up>
<down>VOLDOWN</down>
<select>PLAY</select>
<back>MENU</back>
</remote>
</lircmap>

It's the second stage the one that is causing me trouble. By default XBMC uses the system remote.xml file for the button definitions, and it's thought to be used with a full fledged remote, and not the Apple Remote with only 6 buttons available.

As a workaround, on Mac/AppleTV architecture XBMC detects the Apple Remote as a joystick device, and maps it's keys with a more proper configuration which is stored in the system joystick.AppleRemote.xml file. It even maps long key presses to different actions, so it has some few extra controls available to interact with the XBMC UI.

This later file can be easily modified to adapt it to the remote.xml format, but there is no equivalent key codes for the longer presses. And that is my problem.

The irremote app of the Lirc suite is unable to learn the longer keypresses, and that makes me unable to map them to the extra actions I need (in Lircmap.xml).

Is it possible, by using some special syntax, to enable the long key combos so I can use all the possibilities of my Apple Remote on my Asus HTPC?

And yes, I know it's a ridiculous remote, but my parents are quite old and they can't cope with the amount of keys available on a standard MCE remote.