Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Benefits of larger iGPU frame buffer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

A couple of threads recommended using an iGPU frame buffer of 512MB when an ION system has a ram of 2gb.

However I can't find any explaination about potential benefits? Can someone please comment ..
U need it for hw decoding of lev4.1 1080p videos.
Earlier I had it set to 256mb, and 1080p h264 L4.1 streams were decoding just fine?
topsyturvy Wrote:Hello All,

A couple of threads recommended using an iGPU frame buffer of 512MB when an ION system has a ram of 2gb.

However I can't find any explaination about potential benefits? Can someone please comment ..

its only needed for vdpau to let the graphicchip decode the videos. but it seems 256MB are enough too (you must try it). if you dont use vdpau, for example on an pure intel hardware 32MB are enough
OK. So if I understand correctly it is recomended for linux only (i'm using windows). What did you mean by pure intel hardware?

btw. is vdpau linux equivalent of DXVA?
topsyturvy Wrote:OK. So if I understand correctly it is recomended for linux only (i'm using windows). What did you mean by pure intel hardware?

btw. is vdpau linux equivalent of DXVA?

hmmm dont know anything about windows... but i think if you want use the GPU for decoding (vaapi/vdpau/dxva/any other) you must set some more Videoram as for decoding with CPU.

with pure intel hardware i mean intel chipsets with intel graphic