Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is the Crystal HD card really worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, I have been reading as much as I can about the Crystal HD card but have some questions. It seems that for right now it works better in linux... anyway, lots of my media is in a 1080i or p .mt2s file about 4 gigs in size so it works with my ps3 but i have plenty of standard def stuff and some hd movies that exceed 8GBs...

1.) If I add a Crystal HD card and install linux with the drivers and xbmc and all that stuff will it play pretty much all 720i/p & 1080i/p content?

2.) If not is there any way to do so?

3.) If I install linux is there a way to revert the apple tv back to a like new setup? basically a fresh install of frontrow and that is it.

4.) Will the component and optical out still work with the linux and crystal hd setup?

5.) I dont really care about wifi... Is there anything else I will be sacraficing to run the linux crystal hd setup?
don't use BOLD!

1. yes
so, sometimes you can have problems with some hd content, but most of hd content play excellent
2. in my opinion now it's the best solution, atv is small, look nice & with linux/crystalHD it's easy to use
3. yes, no problem to revert if You use linux on USB you only pull out usbstick if you use linux on internal disk you should restore disk partition from backup
4. yes, I use optical without problem, if you use component i think you have to do some little software modification
5. you only sacrificing wifi Sad
wojo Wrote:don't use BOLD!

1. yes
2. -
3. yes no problem to revert
4. yes
5. you only sacraficing wifi

sorry bout the bold. thanks for the answers.
I went to ATV with CHD card from Xbox. And I have to say its brilliant. Specially under Linux.
If you're afraid of breaking original OS use either the USB image or take out the hard drive and replace it with another one, or even better with some fast (>200X) Compact flash card.

As for your questions wojo answered them well.
docentore Wrote:I went to ATV with CHD card from Xbox. And I have to say its brilliant. Specially under Linux.
If you're afraid of breaking original OS use either the USB image or take out the hard drive and replace it with another one, or even better with some fast (>200X) Compact flash card.

As for your questions wojo answered them well.

Didnt even think about the Compact flash card idea... that sounds sweet... I almost never put files directly on my little old 40GB anyways.
xboxmedia Wrote:Didnt even think about the Compact flash card idea... that sounds sweet... I almost never put files directly on my little old 40GB anyways.

yep, I have 2tb NAS, so the hdd inside the ATV is just for booting OS. I had 32gb KingSpec ssd but it failed on me. But it was sweeeet, fast and quiet.
I will be getting 4gb fast cf card soon.
Which Crystal HD Card should I buy now? .. like today?
How does one plug the CF card into the ATV as it were?
It's a mini pci-e card, not a compact flash. It plugs in where the wireless card currently is.
the crystal HD card is mini pci... the CF card needs a CF to SFF IDE adapter to take the place of the hard drive.

I think you can grab it the Crystal HD here

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970012

not sure but i think that is the right one. also, might be able to get it cheaper on ebay or something.
Yes I have the crystal installed I was asking about the CF storage, how do you plug that into an ATV?
garyi Wrote:Yes I have the crystal installed I was asking about the CF storage, how do you plug that into an ATV?

Something like this or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6812186050

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.as...6812186098

both got pretty bad reviews tho...
Will a 200x CF card give better/equivalent performance to installing Ubuntu on the built in hard drive in the AppleTV? Do the adapters have different quality/speeds or is a cheap $4.99 one on Ebay probably fine?
http://bestofferbuy.com/Notebook-Dual-CF...34261.html

Im thinking of buying an 8GB 200x CF card and using Sam.Nazarkos UbuntuXBMC image on it... that way I still preserve the AppleTV hard drive in case I ever want to use it again.
Is there any reason to use a CF card as opposed to an SDHC card? Are CF cards faster?
Pages: 1 2